Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roasting one picanha (sirloin cap) with different rubs? A Brazilian experimenting with new ways to cook the cut from his childhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roasting one picanha (sirloin cap) with different rubs? A Brazilian experimenting with new ways to cook the cut from his childhood

On Friday I'll be getting about 3-4lbs of picanha (sirloin cap) from Porter Road. I'm originally from Brazil so ate a lot of picanha growing up. The way I saw my father and his friend cooking it was to cover the steaks with very coarse salt (think a lot of salt), stick them in the skewers, and cook over direct heat. Slicing the sides as they get done (and tapping all that salt off before the first slice), and putting it back because the rest of the meat was still raw.

I'm not planning on buying a picanha skewer for my kettle (if there is one, please don't tell me) so I'm think I'll cook it as a rib roast, reverse seared. And one thought came to mind, could try different rubs on the same piece? Should I cut it first? I'm thinking in using only salt but also try with rubs, but I'm not sure how terrible of an idea that is (mixing rubs).

I'm also interested in recipes if you have any.

You grew up with one of the best cuts of the cow there is and cooked the way it should be. Don’t mess with tradition. I don’t think it will be any better than what you already know.
    I could be wrong but I don’t think so. 😬😁

Now. About the skewers. We gotta find you some. 👍

Comment

Ok, not a skewer but

Turn your Weber kettle charcoal grill into a rotisserie! Includes everything you need except the meat. Call BBQGuys for expert advice. Ships free!
      Last edited by klflowers; April 14, 2021, 08:18 PM.

Comment

My first picanha was in ‘93 in Recife pernambuco...been in love ever since.

Interested to hear about your results. I guess it depends on how many cuts you can get if you want to try different rubs, straight salt, cow crust or some variation.

Comment

Someone that grew up with pros doing the real thing and now you want to mess with it? Holy crap keep us updated!! Only someone like you can realize when authentic and innovation can combine to make something great!! (Straight salt on Picanha was probably about preservation but damn it's good)
          Last edited by tenphases; April 14, 2021, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• fcy
            fcy commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd say I'm a pro eater, I'm just starting my cooking picanha journey. But I'll keep everyone posted.

I get a picanha and cut it into 1-1/4” steaks and dry brine them over nite with the Brazilian rock salt
          Fire up the grill and cook to med. rare. Get a nice sear on the outside and let rest for a few minutes.
          The flavor is perfect,,,,,, meaty ,beefy goodness !

Comment

• fcy
            fcy commented
            Editing a comment
            Brazilian rock salt! Did not know those were a thing, look exactly like the coarse salt we use to bbq there.

Love Picanha. I ordered some from Porter Road as well. I sliced it about 2 inches wide and put it on skewers. Cooked indirect and seared on the WSCG. Came out fantastic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3824.jpeg
Views:	409
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1018064Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3826.jpeg
Views:	376
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	1018066

Name:	IMG_3828.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	1018069

Name:	IMG_3830.jpeg
Views:	387
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	1018065

Name:	IMG_3834.jpeg
Views:	380
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	1018068

Name:	IMG_3835.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	1018067

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome

• fcy
            fcy commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great! And I like the small skewers, I was thinking those sword sizes ones you see in Brazilian steakhouses (and are common in Brazil)

Picanha on Pit Barrel Cooker with their skewers.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1018119

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1018120

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            ..., ..., ...!

• fcy
            fcy commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! 🤤

Name:	17583270-6C42-4AF4-BC42-DC397701087C.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	1018127 I don’t have a rotisserie but have cooked them whole and in pieces. When I cook it whole I cook indirect to a lower temp than I want to eat. Then typically I slice into steaks and cover w the salt mix that the butcher at Seabra (South American grocery) makes. It’s mostly big chunky salt w some spices. Then I sear. Whichever way you go I think it’s nice to end up w pieces that are 2 to 3 fingers wide. You’d know better than me but I believe the traditional way is to slice them into steaks and cook on a rotisserie. Like this pic

Last edited by JCBBQ; April 15, 2021, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Bkhuna Awesome!! Same set up in Newark - salt to the side of the butcher. Also, Picanha is great for burgers.
            Last edited by JCBBQ; April 29, 2021, 11:25 AM.

• johnec00
            johnec00 commented
            Editing a comment
            Bkhuna A 10 pound picanha must have been one massive beast.

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            johnec00 - I should never post anything that early in the morning. The picanha was only 6 pounds.

I'm too lazy to slice the roast, skewer it and deal with it that way. I simply roast the whole thing like a prime rib roast. We love it that way, in fact it may indeed be our favorite overall cut of beef !!!

Name:	picanha 02.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1018195Click image for larger version

Name:	picanha 01.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	1018196Click image for larger version

Name:	Picanha 02.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1018197

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup!

• fcy
            fcy commented
            Editing a comment
            Holy moly! These look awesome. You found the reason I was wanting to avoid skewers: being lazy.

Do you use any rubs or just salt? (Edit: just saw the answer on the comment below)

My preferred rub for this cut is Salt. It's marvelous.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea I forgot to add that I salt brine mine for at least 24 hours then use a basic salt less steak rub or something like BBBR. As a Texan I occasionally just throw some coarse ground pepper on it and go with a Texas profile. To me it's more about the richness of the meat, that delicious fat cap and the ultimate finish that I'm concerned about, not the seasoning.
            Last edited by Troutman; April 15, 2021, 04:04 PM.

• fcy
            fcy commented
            Editing a comment
            Salt and only salt is the traditional way. I think I'm going to experiment some rubs to see how it turns out, out of curiosity.

Troutman what is MMD?

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            fcy Actually I have no idea why I wrote that. I meant to say BBBR (Big Bad Beef Rub) which is Meathead's salt free beef rub recipe. Good stuff, especially on roasts.

This flavorful beef dry rub recipe is perfect for seasoning brisket, beef ribs, steak, and more. In Texas, many barbecue joints use plain old salt and pepper, called Dalmatian rub. But beef brisket and beef ribs can handle, and benefit from, a more potent mix of spices. You can make this beef rub in advance and store it.

Name:	76EA65BA-76A4-414F-9A08-EE95B0D266F3.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	1018407Click image for larger version

Name:	6D1B5902-6FF6-44D6-B347-4D56A993AEEA.jpeg
Views:	323
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	1018408Click image for larger version

Name:	8DCD9441-768D-4FDA-896D-8D85F4768074.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1018409
          Brazilian rock salt, dry brine for 24 hrs and the on to the flame,,,
          Attached Files

Comment

I just posted on SUWYC the first try, I made a roast following Meathead's prime roast recipe. I'm looking forward for my next picanha. Mrs. O'Leary Cow Crust rub is great.

Comment

I've cooked picanha a few times and intend to do it few more.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16195015074850.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.46 MB ID:	1023382

​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_183135~2.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	1023384

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190907_180734~4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	529.1 KB ID:	1023381
              Last edited by Attjack; April 26, 2021, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• fcy
                fcy commented
                Editing a comment
                I love this setup!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here