Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bison Filet - How To Fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bison Filet - How To Fix?

Hey y'all, somebody recently gave me some bison filet for my birthday. Zero experience with it, never fixed it before. I would like to cook it tomorrow on my Big Green Egg, any advice or recipes? Should I reverse sear it like a steak? All tips appreciated!
    Attached Files

Super lean, so don't overcook it. I'd reverse sear to ~10-15 under your doneness target, let it rest and drift up to whatever it gets to, then quick sear. Think a lean cut of grassfed beef in terms of how to handle it.

Seasoning - dry brine, season as you like your steaks, see above.
    Last edited by rickgregory; April 8, 2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• BradNorthGA
      BradNorthGA commented
      Editing a comment
      What's a good doneness target, is it similar to steak? I like my steak medium rare, between 130-135

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd think medium rare would be fine. I'd shoot for 130 simply because you can always toss it back on and add a few degrees if you need to and even having rested, a sear will cause some upward drift so if you pull at 130F it might drift up to 133 or whatever just from carryover heat.

• BradNorthGA
      BradNorthGA commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you rickgregory

Treat it like filet mignon. If you like that at 135 then bison should be ok there but it even leaner. As mentioned above pull it AT LEAST 5 degrees before your target temp as if this gets overcooked (which will happen fast) you will be eating cardboard. Personally i would sous vide at maybe 125-127 and then hard sear it.

Comment

Love Bison meat. Great flavor. Cook rare to medium rare and you will do great.

Comment

Sous Vide to 120-125. Let rest for a quite a while or drop in an ice bath a for a few min. Then hard sear.

Comment

• BradNorthGA
          BradNorthGA commented
          Editing a comment
          I ain't got Sous Vide equipment unfortunately

Bison's great stuff, always in th rotation, in my kitchen!

I source mine from a ranch ~ 25 mikes from my home...

(Occasionally, I'll buy ground Bison there to th local Sprout's, when it goes on sale...)
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 8, 2021, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Got some ground elk, ooops, wrong thread, never mind. Please ignore.

Comment

Never cooked it but on a recent episode of the show "Chopped" one of the ingredients was bison, and the judges were saying that it should be cooked almost rare to keep it from drying out

Comment

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd go along with that advice for this cut -- the meat in the OP looks very lean. It might still be tender if cooked to a higher final temp, but it has a good chance of being overly dry. Maybe a pan sauce or board sauce would be a good thing too.

Thanks to everyone's advice, these turned out great! I posted pics in the "Show Us What You're Cooking" thread if anyone wants to see the final product

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here