Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu Brisket

So i've decided it's time to take the plunge into Wagyu Brisket. Seems like most of the competition circuit is doing so. I tried a fellow competitiors Wagyu last time out and was impressed and feel that it does make a differnce. My question is i've heard from several people that that you should not cook a Wagyu brisket to the same finishing temp as a Choice or CAB brisket. I plan on trying a few before my next comp, but certinly don't want to waste a $200 piece of meat. Should I inject a Wagyu or just rub the outside, and should my target finishing temp be 204 just like any other?

All I can do is tell you what I do. I've been cooking Snake River Farms for the last 3 competition seasons. I trim most of the outside fat off. Sometimes I completely separate the point. I don't inject. I do rub it as soon as I possibly can and turn my cambro into a cooler to let it rest and absorb flavors. Cook at around 225. After the rub sets (2-3 hours into cook) I'll spray flat (fat down) with water to keep moisture on surface. At around 160-164 internal, I wrap with a hot flavorful liquid. I've been putting a thermometer with a very thin probe about midway thru the flat and wrap foil around it. I chunk up the point to burnt ends at this time too, add more flavorful liquid and wrap these up tight. I don't open the flat in foil up until it hits 190. I will check for resistance to probe at this time. If there's a tug either way, I'll let it go on up. I really go by feel more than temp. I've been working on timing quite a bit this year. Want it not to rest for too long so it won't "seize" up. I pretty much don't mess with the burnt ends until time to build the box. Hope this helps!

Comment

I cooked mine normally, at 225-240. Took the flat to 180 or so then wrapped tightly, no liquid. Took flat to 205, point was 190-something. Then I let it hold, cambro style, for 2 hrs. No injection, left 1/4"-3/8" fat cap on, but trimmed ALL the fat between the flat & point, cooked it whole. Best I've ever done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here