Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone make beef tallow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    That's what I figured - already have it in my cart. Just wondering if you had found a better deal.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    58limited Amazon, where else? Let your fingers do the walking !!

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Troutman Where did you find it?

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    Troutman I have a tub of that in my cupboard as well. Just used some to make some hash browns yesterday.

• Troutman
    replied
    I've made small batches of tallow from brisket fat in the past but ran across this product, ordered it and am very pleased. Let someone else do the dirty work.

Leave a comment:

• SheilaAnn
    commented on 's reply
    mrteddyprincess you are no wrong IMHO

• mrteddyprincess
    replied
    I hope I'm not remembering wrong, but I think I read that tallow is okay to store at room temp. I keep a quart jar of tallow by my stove and use it as my go to fat to cook garlic and onions as my baked beans base. It gives great flavor to anything one cooks with it. I strain it through sterilized gauze pads and have never had a problem with it going bad or smelling funny.

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    Any time I trim meat - be it a steak, pork chop, roast, whatever - if I only get a small amount I go ahead and toss it into a cast iron skillet and turn the stove to the simmer setting. The rendered fat goes into the can by the stove with the bacon fat and the cracklins go to the dogs - the only human food they get. I want to get some kidney, pelvic, heart (KPH) beef fat to make suet, can't get any of the butcher shops here to get me any. When I ask for some they don't know what I mean.

I here Panhead John makes beet tallow.
    Last edited by 58limited; April 4, 2021, 06:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SheilaAnn
    replied
    IowaGirl great minds think alike! I also use tallow for body products. I have developed a face moisturizer and lip balm. Sometimes, the fat would be "too beefy" and I would have to wash it a couple times. I add essential oils to beef up (pun not intended, or maybe so LOL) the moisturizing components of the products. I have not tried soap yet.

Leave a comment:

• TheQuietOne
    replied
    We buy leaf lard from our farmer and save pork fat to render. I don't really buy large cuts of beef that need to be trimmed to make it worth saving so I buy beef tallow. If you want crispy fried potatoes, nothing works better than beef tallow.

Leave a comment:

• Canadiansmokesman
    replied
    I save all brisket/beef trimmings for tallow
    .... Love it

Leave a comment:

• JimLinebarger
    replied
    I take the scraps from NY Strip, ribeye, chuck roll and clod (if not grinding for burger) when I break them down for steaks, roasts and whatever. If needed, save some for burger but the rest goes for tallow. We have a mason jar of it next to the stove for sautéing veggies and/or for cooking leaner beef cuts. Also use it in my cast iron when cooking on my Weber or gasser.

Leave a comment:

• IowaGirl
    replied
    I render tallow as well as lard. Some tips for either --

Without getting super obsessive, it's good to trim out the worst of the bloody or meaty bits before rendering, so the rendered fat has the least possible odor. If you want, render the meaty/bloody bits separately and feed the scraps to your pups.

If you want the highest yield of tallow or lard, grind the raw fat, not just dice it up.

If you can smell a fatty smell after rendering, the fat has been heated too long or too hot.

Strain the tallow to remove every trace of not-fat impurities before the tallow is stored. If you don't, these impurities will allow mold to grow.

I use tallow and lard in cooking, but a far larger portion goes into my soap making hobby. Right now I'm making soap with about 10% tallow and 50% lard, but I'll use up to 20% tallow.

Tallow (and to a lesser extent lard) is also very nice for skin care products. I have added it to general-purpose body lotion and "working hands" balm. The key is to use tallow with low odor.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Like an omelette in any of a multitude of cooking / olive oils, crisco, shortenin, lard, bacon grease, etc... it'll jus be a different means of doin th same same, with it's own yummy taste.

• Rocinante
    commented on 's reply
    So far, I used it in the wrap for my brisket and for some home fries that were fantastic. I'm wondering how it would do in an omelette? Any ideas from ya would be much appreciated.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here