Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Pastrami Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Pastrami Question

For those who cook pastrami all the way to 200°+ on the smoker, do you eat it right away, or do you rest it for any appreciable amount of time?

Its gotta cool a bit or it can fall apart while slicing. I usually wrap in foil and put it in the oven turned off for an hour or so.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I was just wondering if you needed to rest it for a day or 2 like with MH's original recipe. To me that would kind of defeat the purpose of cooking it all the way, but wanted to be sure.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      Meatheads has an option for steaming or serving same day

Treat it like a brisket. Cambro for an hour or two.

Comment

I let it sit for a while but it shouldn't shred if you treat it as the brisket it is and look for the ol' probe tender around the 200deg mark

Comment

I smoked then fridge for a day as Planned eat for family next day.
        Steamed for an hour or so day of eating.
        Came out pretty good as first try.

Comment

I give it 100% the same as a brisket, including faux cambro hold time of 1-2hrs. Tough pastrami isn't as delicious IMO. Pro tip: much easier to slice on the slicer tomorrow out of the fridge.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            That would be great, if I had a slicer. 😁

Pastrami sliced thin, pile high between grilled Rye Bread, add Sauerkraut, and 1000 island. Taters, and PBR on the side.,

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah. I don't do kraut or 1000 Islands/Russian dressing. I know, I know. . .🥺😣😳 I just like my pastrami hot on a roll (and I'm learning to like rye if it doesn't have caraway seeds) with a spicy brown deli mustard.

I made homemade Russian dressing once. I could get it down, but didn't love it by a long shot.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here