Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Beef Strip Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York Beef Strip Roast

I grabbed this out of my freezer for dinner tonight. It is 6.5 lbs. I was planning on throwing it on the smoker to cook. Should I go 225-250 until it reaches desired temp? After it's done, I would guess it will need to be seared. Cut into servings and sear each one? Not sure how to do this. My parents are coming over and I believe both of them like their steaks more on the done side! 😮 My husband is medium rare and I am closer to medium (I know, too done for many still!). So if I cook to medium rare temp, then slice and sear to desired doneness, I guess it could be good? Guess I am thinking out loud here. Any thoughts would be helpful.
    Attached Files

Cut the roast in half and cook one to medium well and the other to medium rare plus.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      This is my solution as well... assuming it is anywhere near thawed by dinnertime.

Perhaps cut into steaks and cook as you would any steak.

Comment

I agree with CaptainMike Strip steaks are one of my favorites. You could get a nice thick cut out of that roast.

Comment

I would cook it more to rare-medium if your going to then sear the steaks. I tend to err on the side of caution

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          that's what I would do as well... not glamourous but before my wife started eating more medium rare "medium" we would just nuke hers for 30 seconds to 1 minute after both being cooked to my low end medium rare tastes

I had a Black Angus Ribeye roast tonight that I cut into 3 nice 2” steaks. Put on a good coat of salt, pepper and a nice steak rub. Slow smoked on the Traeger at 250 for 45-50 min until 115-120 degrees. Got a chimney of lump going on the PK 360 then seared them at screaming high heat flipping often until 125 degrees on one, 130 on the other and 135 on the 3rd. I sliced them up and everyone in the family could pick and choose whatever doneness they liked.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am actually going to cook it tonight or tomorrow now for just us as my mother (as mother’s like to do) brought and decided dinner without letting me know!

It’s all good as it was sauerkraut and kielbasa. I don’t care for sauerkraut but my husband loves it and only gets it when she brings stuff over to make it. So we improvised and had that for them, then I grabbed a head of cabbage and more kielbasa and made boiled cabbage, potatoes and kielbasa and fried cabbage to go along with it. It was all a great dinner.

So now that it is only us for the roast, I can make it all pretty much same temp and I will just sear mine a hair longer than my husbands or take an end cut that a little more done. 🤔😁 Love when things work themselves out on their own.

Comment

I'd just follow Meathead's prime rib article, treat this as a prime rib. Might not be quite as tender but pretty close. Getting 3 levels of doneness will of course be tricky, so the change in guests make it easier! Otherwise I'd prob take the roast to 135 and just do another extra sear on a few slices for those who want it more done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here