Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Takeoff Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Takeoff Time

Howdy Chowhounds
    Got another of my weird UK 4lb point ends hitting the smoker tomorrow. Strange things happen with these grass fed bad boys here. November I pulled it out at 180F, rested for 1h 20 and it was seriously good. February, same piece of beef, same weight, took it out 197F rested the same time and tough but still full of flavour.

Now, there should be some consistency I reckon. Same butcher, same herd, same hanging time and as you can see, this sucker has some serious marble. I reckon I'll cook it until 185F this time before taking it out and resting. Bizarre thing is that these guys are 8 - 9hrs cook time which makes a mockery of the 1h 20 per lb right! Any thoughts pardners?
    Attached Files

A little piece like that I can knock out in a few hours.. Hot n fast!! Cook until tender then give it a long rest in cooler. Grass fed seem to cook a lot quicker.

Comment

you know about Probe tender right? (when the Probe go in like a hot knife through Butter its ready! internal temp really doesn't matter. Probe a few places to make sure the whole hunk of protein is ready.)

Comment

• kidbwapo
        kidbwapo commented
        Editing a comment
        I do indeed. I try to work on feel as much as anything else. Every day is a school day with BBQ!

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol you got that right!! its back to school for me! My local HEB had reasonably priced Brisket (and man were they beautiful) when I see that I kind of go into a trance! Got home and found the Briskets?? I didn't have room in the Fridges (yes plural) so doing a overnight cook!

Thanks for the reply friends. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahumadora View Post
        A little piece like that I can knock out in a few hours.. Hot n fast!! Cook until tender then give it a long rest in cooler. Grass fed seem to cook a lot quicker.
        How hot would you cook at out of interest?

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          325F - 375F depend on my mood and amount of available beer

I tend to smoke this sized brisket the same as Ahumadora. I try to smoke in the 300 range depending on the BKK's mood.
        Not afraid to let it go up to 350 but not more.
        I try to get the inside temp into the 190's before I pull the meat off usually in 4-5 hours.

Comment

If you want tender let it get to mid-190s or low 200s (F), THEN hold it there about an hour in a "faux cambro" setup where you're no longer cooking it but it's soaking in that slowly-waning heat.

Comment

A few thoughts...

1) Do what worked before. If you liked it when it came off at 180 and another was too tough AT 197, use that experience.

2) Start checking at 180. You can always cook it more. You cannot uncook it.

3) what keeps beef tender is intramuscular fat, not so much the stuff on top if it. If it has a lot of fat distributed throughout the muscle, it's likely going to take higher finish temps than if not. But see point 2.

4) REST IT. Key point that Huskee raises and one that's easy to skimp on. Plan for a real rest, not just 15 mins on the cutting board.
            Last edited by rickgregory; April 2, 2021, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              In the context of brisket or pork butt I call this a "hold", not a rest. A rest is what some folks do with a steak, cool, on a plate or cutting
              board. Maybe an OCD thing, but I feel the difference is worth noting.

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              A restful hold. Yes. Right Huskee?

I’ve never done a grass fed brisket, but friends have always had trouble with them drying out...likely because they’re a leaner cut.

For this reason I’ve never been brave enough to smoke anything but Prime brisket.

Comment

Well, she's on her way to 'cue Valhalla. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Lookin forward to th ride, Mate!

Best of Luck!!!

So, it didn't turn out too bad. Lovely bark, tender but still a way off where it should've been. Got another one on the go for this weekend. Interesting point though is as follows:
              • US Grade Brisket tends to be perfectly cooked c.203F
              • UK Grade Brisket tends to be perfectly cooked c. 187F
              I suspect it may be fat content as to why but anyone have any ideas?
              Thanks again
              KB
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks good to me!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here