Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning reverse sear burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasoning reverse sear burgers

I have some beautiful chuck, brisket and short rib burgers almost a inch thick. I’m well aware that salt changes the dynamics of ground beef so you do it right before it goes on the grill, but is that the case with reverse sear? So should I put it on before The indirect cook it or before I sear it?

I would still salt fairly aggressively before the sear but thats just my feeling. Cant say ive tested it both ways. Never actually considered this before so im interested too in what others have to say

Comment

I’ve always seasoned/salted my burgers before putting them on the grill. Sometimes I’ll season the meat in a bowl before making the patties. That way it’s seasoned throughout meat, not just on the surface. You lose some of the salt that’s on the surface only, by falling off on the grill when turning. I’ll add more salt sometimes after the patties are on the bun, ready to eat. But to answer your question, if you wait and salt it right before the sear, you should be able to taste the salt a little more when eating. I’ll use my spatula after salting to press it a little into the meat, preventing so much from falling off.
      Last edited by Panhead John; March 30, 2021, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Yup, to the not salting ground meat before makin patties! For optimum salt before sear, whether yer flame broilin, slow cook/searin or makin smash burgers. It does matter.

Comment

not sure I have any science behind it....but when smashing....

I premake a little bit of 50/50 salt and pepper in a bowl. As soon as I smash the burgers on the griddle I toss a little of the S/P mix onto the patty....repeat when I flip just before putting cheese on.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here