Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami Question

Had anybody here every attempted to do the streaming step in a pastrami cook in a pressure cooker/instant pot? I bought a nice looking corned beef brisket point at the supermarket. About 3 lbs. I desalinated, rubbed it with Meathead's pastrami rub and left out incinerated in the fridge for 2 days. Today I was smoking it over lump charcoal with cherry chunks. Three IT got up to 154°F then I got moderately injured working with power tools so I pulled it off and covered it with foil and drove myself to the ER, where I sit as I type this. Fortunately, the crust seemed reasonably well set, even though it hadn't stalled yet. I am thinking of doing the final step/steaming in there Instant Pot and an wondering if anybody has done this and had recommendations as to cook time. I assume I will chill it when I get home and then finish it from the fridge tomorrow or Monday.

Geez - I hope your in jury is not too bad.

Comment

Let us know if you're OK and that the damage is not too great. That pastrami will take care of itself. I think your idea of steaming it in the IP is a good one--it can't soften the bark any more than regular steaming would, I would think. Of course this comes from someone who NEVER steams her pastramis, so take it with a grain of desalinated corned beef.

Be well.
      Kathryn

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was actually undecided as to whether I was going to leave it on the smoker all the way to 203°F but that ended up getting decided for me.

Well, if you still have all of the fingers, toes, eyes, ears, and most of the blood you came with you'll probably be alright. I hope you heal well and fully. Interesting thought on the IP, it would be great to read about the results. Like Kathryn, I take my pastramis all way the in the smoker. I just never liked how they came out when steaming.

Comment

🎶I fought the saw and the saw won. . .🎶

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210327_202020450-01.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.24 MB ID:	1009344

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210327_203854100-01.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	1009345
        Last edited by Dewesq55; March 27, 2021, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Wowza.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a pretty good cut. Glad it wasn't worse.

• kjbarth
          kjbarth commented
          Editing a comment
          Yikes! Make up a better story to explain the scar later. Maybe involving pirates and a machete??

Not a fan of steaming, it was mentioned in the recipe because Katz boils them. I did it once and never bothered again.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've done it before and I'm fine with how it comes out.

So you're sitting in the ER with fresh wounds, and you're posting about your pastrami? That's a sign of a serious barbecuer! My hat's off to you, Sir!

Comment

I agree with you - that cut was worth at least a short break.
          Last edited by RonB; March 27, 2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Play the sympathy card, have your spouse wait on you hand-and-foot.
            Happy R&R and PBR too.

Comment

Wow, hope all is OK.

We do corned beef in the pressure cooker all the time, you will not be disappointed when you finish in that cooker. Many years ago I had an Masterbuilt electric smoker and the power blinked and my cook stopped, finished it in the pressure cooker and it was fantastic. Good luck!

Comment

Hmmmm....Only a Flesh Wound Huh?....

Comment

Did the same thing to my leg with a grinder. Never bled much, must have cauterized it.

Never steamed a pastrami, like the others I always smoke it all the way. Pressure steaming might ruin the bark so tread lightly, and be careful with power tools !!

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My arm bled like a stick pig, but, then again, I'm on blood thinners. Thinking back on it, I was incredibly lucky not to have amputated my arm. That kind of sh*t happens all the time.

I vote for finishing in a pressure cooker simply because I want to know how it turns out.
                  This is a poll right?

Comment

I have not tried a pressure cooker. Last time I used a turkey roaster which works great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resizer_16166398640653.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	1009676

Comment

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I smoked them just up to 150 then switched to steam.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here