Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to cook rib eye roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to cook rib eye roast

I have a big family event this weekend and was wondering if anyone has some insight for a great rib eye roast recipe. Thank y'all so much

I doing one next weekend for Easter like this. You can scale up or down as needed.

Smoked & Seared Prime Rib Roast
    Yield: about 6-10 servings
    Ingredients:
    • 14lb Beef Prime Rib, bone-in
    • Salt (used fine sea salt)
    • ½ oz porcini mushrooms, ground fine
    • 1 tbsp black pepper, freshly ground
    • 2 tsp rosemary leaves, chopped (from 1 sprig) or ½ tsp dried rosemary
    • 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped (from 1-2 sprigs), or ¼ tsp dried thyme
    • 12 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    • 6 tbsp olive oil
    • 2qt +/- Beef broth, as needed
    • 4 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
    • 4 stalks celery, roughly chopped
    • 2 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
    Au Jus (about 3 cups)
    • 3 teaspoons olive oil
    • ¾ cup red onion, diced
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • â…œ cup red wine
    • 1½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 3 cups drippings (from the drip pan)
    • 1½ teaspoon whole peppercorns
    • ¾ teaspoon dry thyme leaves
    • 2 bay leaf
    • Salt (as needed)
    Preparation:
    1. Sprinkle meat all over with about 4 tsp salt, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let it rest for 3+ hours in refrigerator.
    2. In a small bowl, mix the 2 tsp salt, black pepper, rosemary, thyme, garlic, porcini, and olive oil, set aside.
    3. Preheat the smoker to 225ËšF-250ËšF with cherry and oak chunks (or just cherry). Pat the roast dry with paper towels then cut bones from
    roast. Rub the roast all over with seasoning mix and allow the roast to sit for about 15 minutes. Re-tie the bone on the roast at 1"
    intervals.

4. When smoker is up to temperature, put the roast on the rack. On the rack below place a pan to catch the drippings with about 1 quart of
    beef broth in it. (after about 1 hour of smoking, add chopped vegetables to the roasting pan). Check and add more broth to the pan as
    needed.

5. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, over medium heat, add the olive oil and the onions. Sauté until the edges of the onions just begin to
    brown. (not a full caramelization and don't burn them) Add garlic and cook for a minute or 2 more. Deglaze the saucepan by adding the
    red wine and stirring. Add Worcestershire sauce and cook for another minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat then add the
    peppercorns, thyme and bay leaf. Set aside until roast drippings are ready and roast is resting.

6. When the roast IT is about 100˚F start the grill for searing the roast. When the internal temperature reaches 115ºF, remove the roast
    from the cooker and put in a pan loosely covered to rest for about 20 minutes+/-. Remove drip pan and set aside for the Au Jus. When
    the cooker comes up to temp (hot) remove the roast, reserving the juices collected inside, and place the roast on the grates, over the fire.
    Turn occasionally to brown the outside of the roast evenly.

7. When the internal temperature reaches 125ºF to 130 ºF remove the roast from the cooker to the pan and cover it loosely with foil and
    rest 20 minutes before slicing.

8. While the roast rests reheat the Au Jus and add the drippings beef stock and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15- 30 minutes, add salt to taste. Strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer and then return it to the saucepan until ready to serve.
    9. Cut tie strings and remove the bones then slice into about ½" thick slices and serve the roast.

Comment

• IdSmokeThat
      IdSmokeThat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much

The Prime Rib recipe on the free site is perfect. I make one every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Meatheads method is perfect - whether you do it in the smoker or in the oven inside. I usually do mine I side because those holidays are so busy I don’t have time to tend a fire too.

Be sure to use Mrs O’Leary’s Cow Crust rub...it’s *perfect* for a rib roast!

There are some tricks to learning how to cook a perfect prime rib, tenderloin, round, rump, and other beef roasts and we have assembled them all in one place! Discover our secrets for ensuring it is cooked right from end to end and with a deeply flavored crust in this ultimate prime rib recipe.
    Last edited by Santamarina; March 24, 2021, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      +1.

I do mine in my pellet smoker. Boneless roast. Tie up to an even shape. Dry brine 24 hours in the fridge. Lightly brush with olive oil then dust generously with Penzey's Prime Rib Rub which is very low in salt. Roast at 235 degrees to your favorite IT. Serve immediately. Yum.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      nailed it with the pellet smoker.
      Long live BBQ, happy grilling to you.

Posted before: How to Roast a Perfect Prime Rib Using the Reverse Sear Method | Serious Eats

You can easily smoke the roast in this approach for 2-3 hours on smoke setting and then switch to low oven temp or leave it at smoke (170-200*) until done to IT you want. Then crank whatever up and sear. edge to edge with great crust perfection.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here