Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Brisket

Well got my 13lb prime from Costco tonight. Going to hit it with some Killer Hogs TX rub and set the Grills Silverback to about 250, and send her off to bed for about 12hrs ish. This is my plan Sat night. I have Kosmos Q Mop but I think I will keep it simple on my first one and just let her go. Any other tips? Not doing burnt ends, going to package most up for spring break and bring it with, we'll what we don't eat on Sunday.
    Thanks

12 hours is not always correct. Less or more. Who knows. 250° is a good temp. 225-275.
    Do you plan on wrapping? I wrap with pink butcher paper when the bark looks good to keep it from burning. I tried foil once. Foil ruins the bark. Go to at least 195 inside temp. 200 probably better. The feel is more important. Probe tender. Place wrapped in a cooler for at least 1 hour before carving.

Comment

• jharner
      jharner commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no problem with wrapping in foil, but do not wrap until temp at least 180. Bark stays good and renders nice juices to pour back over sliced brisket.

Oh and maybe use course salt and pepper the night before.

Comment

Yeah I have butcher paper and I might wrap when she his 160ish. Forgot about that, good call. After it hits 203 ish, I will wrap in paper if it isn't, also in plastic wrap, in a towel in a cooler. Seen Kosmo do the and I've done it with a but, works great.

SP night before might be in the cards too. Thx

Comment

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        No plastic, please!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        I did the plastic like Kosmo did on his videos - turned my bark into goo. Like sticky black goo, tarry, almost. I won't do that again.

Brisket is really simple to smoke. But it is easier said than done. I like to review youtube streamers.

(9) 10 Brisket Fundamentals by Barbecue Champion Harry Soo How-to SlapYoDaddyBBQ.com competition texas - YouTube

Malcom Reed --(9) Smoked Brisket on Pellet Grill - YouTube
      Last edited by bbqLuv; March 18, 2021, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Good luck on your cook. Please remember temp and time do not dictate when your brisket will be done. Probe tender baby Probe tender!!

Comment

You got this!

Comment

How exciting! Can’t wait to see it. Can’t cook a second one until you cook the first one! Enjoy the process!

Comment

I don't know about plastic wrap. It would be like wrapping in foil and steaming your bark.

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                I was going to make the same comment but apparently he's used plastic wrap with success before.

If you have a separate leave in food temp probe with plans for an overnight cook, I would use it with an alarm. I have found that Prime tends to cook to temp "faster" than Choice/Select cuts of meat. The last full packer prime that I cooked from Costco was a 16lb that we cooked @225 on a pellet cooker that was temp, probe, and slice tender at 10hrs, which allowed us to let it rest for an extra couple of hours. As always, your mileage may vary....

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 prime usually has a shorter time to finish for me as well.

Turned out great. 10hrs ish and Sat for like 8hrs lol, it got done way early lol. It was great first try.
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks awesome! Good job!

Comment

Great looking first brisket.

Comment

That's a top class effort for a first brisket, resepect. Betcha wanna do another now!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here