Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SRF Wagyu Brisket #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SRF Wagyu Brisket #2

I wasn't very happy with the 1st SRF Wagyu brisket cook so I'm going to do another around 3am in the morning. This one isn't as big as the first. This one weigh in at 12.7 lbs after trimming maybe 9 1/2-10 lbs. I will be doing the S&P rub and I will be firing up the Lil Monster feeding it with Hickory logs. Here it is trim and covered with S&P. I have the Budlite icing down and the XM satellite radio plug in so I'm going to get about 4 hrs of shut eye and will report back in the morning. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0156.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	100468 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0157.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	100467

Looks awesome. What went wrong with the first one?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahhh, I see. I really wanna try that butcher paper wrap. Do you know of a good spot to pick that stuff up?

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker I got it on Amazon

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Got mine at Sam's club. It is a quarter mile roll so plenty of other things! I roll out a few feet for the kids to color on.

Wrap that rascal at about 180 or at good bark. Look froward to see some early mornign pics, I'll be online tonight until 6:30-7am or so.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Rippin AR on the clock....why not!!! Paging DR. Huskee.....Paging DR. Huskee......Dr. Huskee???

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok Huskee I will be back on here around 3:30am

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker Lol. I have to be here whether I'm busy busy busy or there's crickets chirping in the halls, cuz I'm an emergency worker. So when there's crickets, I do whatever I want until I get paged away. Usually it's Pit, AR, ABC, sometime Netflix or YouTube (in no particular order).

Ah, you have ice cold beer, and you're going to sleep? Please explain......

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      SmokinDTown I have been up since 6:30am...Got to get some shut eye sometime after all I'm not a Spring chicken anymore.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL!! After the initial fire do you feed the little monster with just one log about every hour?

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest it's more like every 45 mins I will feed Lil Monster a log sometimes two. It depends on how windy it is.

I got up @ 2am (slowly) got the fire started. The brisket went on the pit @ 3:25am. Let the cook begin... Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0158.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	100506 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0160.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	100507

Comment

OOPS! I just notice that the fat cap was down so I went and flip it so the fat cap is on top now. Glad that I caught that.

Comment

Dang it is hotter than a well diggers a$$ on fire. I've been holding off on poping the top of a cold one but if the outside temp keeps rising I will have no choice.

Comment

can i come over? that looks like way more fun than being at work

Comment

Hows she rolling?

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker everything is going as plan so far...

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            DWCowles Good deal. Pic updates??

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker look below

The brisket hit 180 IT @ 11:15am so I got the pink butcher out and roll the brisket in it (Aaron Franklin sure makes this look easy). You can see where the towel slip and took off a little of the bark. Glad it was on the fat cap side. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	100575 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	100574

Comment

It is now 12:32 and the brisket is 190 IT....Also time to pop the top

Comment

Wow DW, Lookin' good man !!! Cant wait to see that thing sliced up!!!

Comment

Careful you don't overcook. Wagyu often doesn't need to go to 203F. Probe her and see if she's done. A 2 hour rest will do her a lot of good too.

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  David Parrish we're not going to eat until 5:30 so how can I keep it warm for that long? If I wrap it up with towels and put it in a cooler can I reheat in oven if it cools down to soon? Another learning point,

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It might not be done yet... Probe to be sure. It will likely be done before 203F though and the rest time will just help it get more tender. If you use a good cooler and wrap with a LOT of towels it'll keep the heat until dinner. I think you're timing is actually pretty good.

We are all anxiously waiting!

Comment

Had to make me some snacks while waiting on the brisket and ribs Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	100598

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here