Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corned Beef Bag Not Tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corned Beef Bag Not Tight

I picked up a nice corned beef brisket at Costco over the weekend. When I got home, I realized that the bag is not vacuum sealed. It is sealed and is not leaking, it is just not a tight bag. The expiration date is 05/01/21, so it has awhile to go. Assuming that it doesn't smell funky when I open the bag, should I keep it and cook it? Or should it go back to Costco? Thanks.
    Last edited by Spacecase; March 16, 2021, 10:10 AM.

I wouldn't be worried. If it was expanded like a balloon ready to pop I would release it into the back yard atmosphere.

Comment

I would keep it. If there were a problem, it would more than likely be bloated. It might smell a little funky, just because it has been aging, but I bet it is fine. If it smells rancid, obviously throw it out. I have had packs like this too, only one was bloated and I threw that one out.

Comment

Costcow will take anything back. You needn't haul the bad meat back with you if that turns out to be bad.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Question: Was any of them vacuum packed?

The one I got from Safeway was just in a sealed bag.

Most of the ones I get are tightly packaged, but not vacuum packed.

Comment

Same as above, if it's not leaking it's good. Mine are never vac sealed tight, just sealed sorta like deli lunch meat. Also you can't always trust that exp date. I've bought a few that said 5/1 to save through April and on 4/20-something they were swelled up, spoiled.

Comment

So I popped open the bag this morning and it smelled like corned beef. So into the pot it went. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Comment

• Spacecase
              Spacecase commented
              Editing a comment
              After action report: It was delicious.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here