Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat Iron Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Iron Steak

My beautiful bride and I had a quick overnight (grandparents in town) to Napa this weekend. At the Oxbow market, Five Dot Ranch has a butcher shop. I’ve heard how great flat iron steak is so I picked one up to try! Any tips outside of the usual "hot and fast" technique for a cut like this? I’m using Carne Crosta rub with a touch of olive oil.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8654C771-7FA9-450B-8281-A78AA877BDBF.jpeg
Views:	401
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1004274

I was just going to post the same question. I'm still new at navigating this site and had a hard time finding anything specific to flat iron steak

Comment

I love FIS. Hot and Fast is the only way I do it. Rub it up and sear on my flat top. So yummy.

Comment

Hot and fast. Great versatile steak.

Comment

We had a couple of really nice flatirons last week, cooked hot and fast, but first marinated a couple of hours in a version of this:

1/3 cup soy sauce
          1/2 cup olive oil
          1/3 cup lemon juice
          1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
          1 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
          3 Tbsp dried basil
          1 1/2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
          1 tsp ground white pepper
          1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
          1 tsp minced garlic

Comment

Dry brine 4 hours and then season 15 minutes before putting on the grill with Amazing Ribs BBBR. Baste with butter. But that's just me

Comment

Here is a post I previously did in Oct. 2020... loved it...

Sous Vide Ooni (SVO) flat iron steak again marinated in McCormick's garlic peppercorn. This is one of my go to now for a quick and easy meal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n926039[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n926040[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n926041[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n926042[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n926043[/ATTACH]
              Last edited by treesmacker; March 15, 2021, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• lemayp
                lemayp commented
                Editing a comment
                Second sous vide. It's one of the few cuts I'll cook that way and then sear.

• JakeT
                JakeT commented
                Editing a comment
                Sous vide is great if I'm pulling an item from the freezer. This was already defrosted so I went ahead and cooked it "traditionally". A little bit more fun and keeps up the variety of cooking for me. I do have a frozen flank steak that may get a little SVQ treatment here pretty soon!

• JakeT
                JakeT commented
                Editing a comment
                Beautiful color on that btw!

Tasty rub>>Hot 'n fast>>Homemade chimichurri sauce>>Enjoy.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                What she said. It's a winner.

• JakeT
                JakeT commented
                Editing a comment
                The chimi would definitely have made it even better. I actually got some small batch olive oil I want to try for a chimi soon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DAFF542C-35D4-459F-8DC6-8352FE3ACF3E.jpeg
Views:	303
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1004389Click image for larger version

Name:	D89E3343-8C67-49B9-AE56-60472B43EEF0.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	1004388 I ended up hot and fast on my gasser, basted with garlic olive oil. Delicious!!

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice!

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Beautimous!

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                That is one gorgeous flank steak. Nice job!

Kathryn

jfmorris The only reason I have a gasser is due to laziness! Plus standing outside in the cold and/or wind isn't very appealing for longer than you have to.

Comment

Great work man! I was gonna say....flip that baby continuously until she is at the internal temp you want. The flat iron is perfect for that. Looks like you nailed it though.

Comment

• JakeT
                  JakeT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, and the Carne Crosta worked its wonderful magic. It actually was one of the better tasting steaks I’ve made in a while. I’m only bummed I really never come by flat iron. All the flavor of flank steak but much more tender!

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Carne Crosta rub is a secret weapon for steak searing, for sure, JakeT . No burnt taste, just a delicous, flavorful char. I got hooked on it a while back, thanks to recommendations here on The Pit.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here