Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to cook corned beef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to cook corned beef?

I picked up two pre-brined chunks of brisket for St. Paddy's day this week as I'm sure many others did - no time this year to cure my own (oh well). Is simmering at 190* as Meathead advocates the way you prefer as well? That would seem to require a lot of monitoring of the water temp as the meat rises in temperature, and my stove isn't that exact so I'd be adjusting every 10 minutes or so.

I have an Instant Pot which doubles as a slow cooker, I don't know how to cook it with either setting... No sous vide here, but don't let me stop you if you want to share your method.

So how do you cook your corned beef?

I'm in the same boat and what I did last time (2-3 years ago) was to simmer at a low, bubbling but not rapidly, rate. I didn't monitor the temp and it was fine. Most people traditionally don't try to control the temp that precisely.

Comment

I have found it to be very forgiving, just a gentle simmer as rickgregory points out and rule of thumb is and hour per kilo works for me. My all time fave though is turn it into pastrami on the smoker 😋

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        this

I do mine in the oven in a heavy aluminum roasting pan, covered, with a little beef juice for steam. Garlic and onions on top and some pepper. 4.5 hrs. at 250 usually gives me approx. 198 - 204 degrees

Comment

I'll be doing my corned beef, cabbage, carrots, and potatoes in the instant pot like I did last year.
        Last edited by Attjack; March 15, 2021, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I just looked it up on the internet for times. But the gist of it is to cook the brisket, then cook your vegatables with some reserved liquid from the brisket cook.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          IowaGirl I'm going to generally follow this recipe: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/...t-corned-beef/

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack - You can't beat Jack and Amy for IP recipes. It was the first IP site I used when I bough my first IP and it is still my go too.

Eh. I’m not traditional. I try to pick up several after the holiday on sale, desalinate and smoke exactly like the brisket it is. :-)

Comment

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, smoked corned beef is great. And if you forget to desalinate it actually works as "bacon", as long as you use it in a dish and don't try to eat it on its own.

Our local store had corned beef and when I saw the price I was curious. It's actually bottom round and it's half the price of the brisket. I've done several so far and they come out very tender. IMO every bit as good as a brisket

Comment

PBC, PBC, PBC!

Oh. Wait.

Comment

I make pastrami with it.

K.

Comment

Rub it with Meatheads pastrami rub and smoke it. You will not regret it.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm doing tomorrow's meal in the instant pot but then I'm going to smoke and steam a couple.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah man, you can buy them cheap right now. I grabbed like 4 points from the store last night.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker I'm in for 3.

For a 3 lb corned beef brisket in an InstaPot. Add one small yellow onion, 4 C beef broth, 12oz lager, 1 T apple cider vinegar,
              2 t sugar and the spice packet. 60 minutes @ high pressure. Let pressure release naturally for 30 minutes. Remove brisket, add veggies and cook on high pressure 3 minutes, quick release pressure, add to sliced brisket and enjoy.

Comment

Folks, pastrami is great but it's not corned beef which is also great.

Comment

• PBCDad
                  PBCDad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My favorite sandwich of all time is the Reuben, so I picked up two chunks of corned beef so I'd have lots of leftovers. I was debating whether I should make pastrami with one after seeing all the replies, but... naaaahhhh

Man, since I found the pastrami on here, I haven't just done a straight corned beef. I used to do them in a pressure cooker on the stove all the time. I need to pick one up and use the instant pot for just corned beef. Gonna do that today. Thanks for the reminder, rickgregory

Comment

Irish Nachos (Inspired by Jack Quinn’s Colorado Springs)

Follow Meathead’s recipe for corned beef. Brine the flat for corned beef, use the point for pastrami (follow Meathead’s pastrami recipe here as well). Freeze them after brining...use a Food Saver or other vacuum sealer and shove ‘em in the freezer, so they’re ready to go when you are. Buy the whole packer prime brisket from Costco or HEB. Use the fat to make tallow.

I prefer to sous vide the corned beef. Set your sous vide for 185F for 12 hours. Then make Irish Nachos:

3lbs Shredded or Chopped corned beef
                  4lbs gold potatos cut into wedges and roasted
                  1 bag kettle chips
                  1lb shredded sharp cheddar
                  sour cream
                  chives
                  Thousand Island Dressing

Sous Vide the corned beef
                  Roast the potatos after tossing in olive oil and salt/pepper
                  When the potatos are done, put them in a large pyrex oven safe dish
                  Top them with the kettle chips, corned beef and cheddar
                  Bake at 400 until the cheese starts to bubble and brown
                  Top with chives
                  Serve with Sour Cream and Thousand Island

Slainté
                  Attached Files

Comment

I had a couple of the premade cb's on hand and decided to try the sous vide method even though I usually do them on one of the smokers as either pastrami or "almost pastrami". I did the desalinate mambo, then applied a semi typical corned beef seasoning rub and vacuum sealed the slab o' meat. When I buy these I usually dig through the case to find the block shaped ones that don't taper off, but are around 2+ inches thick to all four corners if possible. I find that those usually end up being part flat part point and end up very juicy. I perked this one at 154f for 24 hours based on a Chef Steps recipe. It turned out nice and juicy, tender, but not fall apart. It sliced beautifully at 1/4 for a traditional cabbage and potato meal service, but the texture also allowed for near paper thin slicing for a Reuben sandwich I made for lunch the next day. The rest got diced for hash. All in all, a good experience.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here