Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot take: Premium ground beef doesn't matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you consider the toppings we put on burgers, I think any flavor difference is lost.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. I deliberately kept these burgers simple (mustard, red onion, ,mayo on the bun) but if you add cheese, bacon etc. I can't see how any subtle differences are going to show through.

I agree fat content is a key. I will say that the cuts used seem to make a difference, at least to me. I grind my own and the blend I settled on is chuck, brisket, and shortrib. I think the fat is about 35% and the flavor is out of this world, best burgers I've ever made.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Speakin as a nascent grindin kinda guy, I'd certainly be interested in yer ratios, Amigo, if'n yer willin to share yer Secrets...

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones I posted a thread about it awhile back, here ya go: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...e-meat-grinder

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      35% >> 20% >>>>>>>>>> 7%

And I would love to use short rib but it's stupidly expensive here.

So, I really didnt want to but I was FORCED to pick up the package below just for a test. It's all about you folks, after all. NO ENJOYMENT was had. Nooope.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0623.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	204.8 KB ID:	1006956

Verdict? In a burger, I really didnt notice any difference. As with the above tests that I did, I put this on a bun with mayo, mustard and a slice of red onion (the most basic burger I do). I added S&P to the outside of the burger but mixed nothing in the meat.

Mind you it was good. But not noticeably better than good choice beef.

Overall, I think ground beef just isn't a good use of premium beef. I make ground into burgers or Bolognese or meatballs. Sometimes meatloaf. But in all of those cases, there are other flavors being used and those flavors overshadow the relatively subtle differences between the various ground beef varieties, assuming you control for grind size and especially fat percentage.

Seattle folks - this was at a QFC if you're interested. I didnt see any other Mishima Reserve cuts though.
    Last edited by rickgregory; March 21, 2021, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your sacrifice. Interesting they don’t tell you what the fat ratio is on the packaging. Maybe it’s done on purpose so you can’t compare it to anything else

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, they don't mention it on their site either (https://www.mishimareserve.com/wagyu-beef/ground-beef). I assume 80/20. It felt like that when I ate it.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here