Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Wood For Brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Wood For Brisket?

Hello. I am going to try the beef brisket recipe tomorrow. I'd like to add wood to my smoker. Any suggestions? I'm in Michigan.

I have applewood (did the bacon two weeks ago - awesome). That was like real wood, not chips. I really enjoyed cooking with that. I was hoping I might find more wood (different flavor though right?). Just asking which kind is good for beef.

I read this article. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...with_wood.html I will still use some briquets (yes blue bag)...but I liked sawing the logs to fit and the smoke smell..very good. So I would like to try other woods or what goes well with beef. Thanks!

The very first brisket I ever did I did with some apple chunks added to charcoal, apple works great with beef. Arguably some of the best woods to use with beef would be oak, hickory, pecan. I have found there's nothing apple doesn't work with. You're in great shape!

How are you enjoying our Michigan summer? It's sure been nice lately, although a touch hot (here's where southerners and westerners laugh at us), and this weekend, at least where I live, is set to be cooler and gorgeous- 80s and sunny.

Comment

Really hard to go wrong with apple. Probably my favorite wood. Oak is also excellent. I like either or both for a long smoke/cook. I've got hickory trees all over my woods and every storm gives me more to work with but I use it rather sparingly to cook. I find it is a stronger flavor than oak or apple and (in my hands) best suited to adding a little smoke to short cook like steaks, burgers or chops. Hickory tends to get strong & bitter when I use it for a long smoke.

Comment

Thank you. I will try the apple.

The Michigan summer is good. Warm now. 80F-90F. Today is 82F. It's not bad when the humidity is low, but some days the humidity is hot and the air feels thick. Those are days you dont want to stand by a fire. lol

Comment

Hickory, Hickory and Hickory

Comment

I always go Oak with brisket if I can find it.

Comment

I was thinking oak or cherry, but can't go wrong with Apple - my favorite.

Comment

Love cherry, but have used plenty red oak. I think whatever is abundant, and is suitable, is the best.

Comment

The Texans in my family have prevailed: I'm a sworn advocate of mesquite chunks for beef. The key is to use it very sparingly - just a chunk or two early in the cook. It's a strong flavor and too much is tragic.

Comment

When I do brisket I use either hickory or oak

Comment

I love using Hickory for brisket, I am to big of a you know what to try mesquite. I am always afraid of over powering the meat.

Comment

Hickory won at the Texas A&M 2014 Brisket Camp blind taste test.

Comment

• (Otherguy)
                          (Otherguy) commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thing is, hickory always makes me think of bacon. And we all know bacon's a crowd pleaser, but I save hickory for pork. I'm into oak and mesquite - with a light touch - for beef. I'll look into apple. I have some that I use with hickory for pork.

Pecan is king

Comment

• DWCowles
                          DWCowles commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I hate to burst your bubble Ernest but Hickory is the king of all wood for bbqing. Not that Pecan, fruit wood or any other kind of wood isn't good but Hickory wood is the traditional bbq wood.
                          Last edited by DWCowles; September 22, 2015, 02:24 PM.

• Ernest
                          Ernest commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Pecan is just Hickory junior, a cleaner hickory junior.

• Potkettleblack
                          Potkettleblack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          DWCowles - Pecan trees are Hickory trees. same branch of treedom.

HICK-ORY, HICK-ORY, HICK-ORY

Comment

• Papa Bob
                          Papa Bob commented
                          Editing a comment
                          DICK-ORY DOCK, I CANT REALY TASTE THE DIFFERANCE I SMOKED FOR 25 YEARS (QUIT 19 YRS. AGO) MAYBE THAS WHY BUT I COUDNT TELL APPLE FROM CHERRY OR OAK MAYBE MESQUITE OR HICKORY BUT I DOUGHT EVEN THAT

I used Hickory and wasn't impressed. Seemed more suited to pork.

Now Cherry, that stuff rocks......

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here