Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancho Gordo Haul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've been cooking dried beans more this winter, in part due to fzxdoc (Kathryn's) advice on how to cook them in the instant pot. Kathryn -- I seem to recall you're cooking your beans for 45 minutes in the instant pot. And then natural release? Is that timing true for all varieties? (I need to get this written down, so I keep it straight.)

I like how Rancho Gordo sells named varieties. And their beans are always fresh and tasty. In a household of 2, it's hard to justify buying enough beans to reach that $50 mark, however. And I have to travel a couple of hours one way to get to urban groceries that are more likely to carry Rancho Gordo products. The only grocery I know of for sure is in Madison, WI, about 2 1/2 hours away where I've found RG black beans and cranberry beans.

We've tried some Bob's Red Mill beans and bean blends as well. BRM beans are generic which isn't quite so sexy, but they do cook up nicely and are flavorful. They're also a little easier to find in grocery stores, so if the pocketbook isn't deep enough to justify an order to Rancho Gordo, these beans might be a close alternative.

Hubby cooked up some BRM "Whole Grains and Beans" soup mix last weekend. He just added water and salt and cooked the beans per the package directions (35 min in the instant pot, natural release). I was super, SUPER skeptical about how this would taste -- just plain beans cooked in water???? I was dead wrong -- the beans and grains were tender, the "gravy" was thick and rich tasting. They were really good like this. A slice of homemade bread and home canned applesauce was all the meal needed to round it out.

Comment

IowaGirl , to answer your question, I Instant Pot the medium and larger beans at 65 min, High, NPR. Smaller beans like flageolets are 55 min, High, NPR. Salt to taste after cooking.

No soaking, usually, but if I do, it's 2-4 hours.

And yes, it's pretty amazing how a simple cook of Rancho Gordo beans, water, with a bit of garlic and onion powders tossed into the Instant Pot makes such a delicious and satisfying result.

HTH,
      Kathryn

Edited to add:

The whole megillah:
      1. Rinse 1 lb of Rancho Gordo beans well and sort through to remove any debris.

2. If desired, soak 2 to 4 hours, covering the beans with about 2 inches of water over the top of the beans. Soaking is optional. Rinse after soaking.

3. On Saute mode, saute half a medium or one small diced onion and a clove or two of chopped garlic in a bit of olive oil. Or you can just sprinkle about half a teaspoon each of onion powder and garlic powder after you've added the water.

4. Add the beans to the IP and add enough water to reach the 2.5 liter mark.

5. Secure the lid and make sure the pressure valve is closed.

6. Choose Manual>>High>>65min (or 55 min for small beans). When done, let the pressure release naturally (NPR).

7. Salt and serve.
      Last edited by fzxdoc; February 17, 2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc -- I'm also thinking your recipe is based on cooking a whole package (1 pound / 454 g) of beans. Amiright?

1 pound of dry beans is about 2 cups.
        2 cups of dry beans will make about 6 cups of cooked beans.

When hubby cooked beans the other night, 1 cup of dry beans made 2 large servings as a main dish with a small dividend left over. If we had turned it into soup by adding veggies and meat, that same amount of beans might have stretched to 3-4 servings.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, exactly, IowaGirl . I always cook the whole pound of beans, making 6 cups or so. In our house, they get used up in one way or another within a week.

Kathryn

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the details! I might have to give bean cooking a whirl just to help mix up the routine.

PBCDad - here's what my PCC has. These are on instacart too. If it is hard to read, they have mayocaba, pinquito and garbanzo. FWIW the Zursun stuff sounds interesting too - http://www.zursunbeans.com

For others in Western Washington, these are at https://www.pccmarkets.com

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0586.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	258.6 KB ID:	990879
      Last edited by rickgregory; February 17, 2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Zursun beans are really good, I'd put 'em on par with RG.

Mayocoba are absolutely amazing.

Comment

Where Sheila? The store?

Comment

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          Me think SheilaAnn at home. Not store.
          Last edited by willxfmr; February 18, 2021, 03:51 AM.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey I get them from Alta Baja Market located in 4th Street Market in Santa Ana. 4th between Bush and Spurgeon.

Just arrived. Need to decide what to try out tomorrow. As this will be my first foray into the wonderful world of quality dried beans, I'm thinking of starting with the Midnight Black so I can do a side by side comparison with some canned black beans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_110236_2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	995135

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          This is a good way to cook them. I do these a lot, then I use them in taco's. nacho's or just in a bowl with some cornbread. I have never used the pork bullion, but I do make the sofrito:
          Simple and flavorful Cuban black beans are the perfect beans to make in the Instant Pot for a quick weeknight recipe using minimal ingredients.

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm a big fan of the Domingo Rojo. Used them with the last of my mail order Andouille to make Red Beans and Rice. The Ayocote Negros are very good for black beans and rice.

I just ordered from Rancho Gordo for the first time recently. My kids really love the popcorn and have fun making it on the stove. Going to make the pinquintos beans this weekend. I got their Stardust powder and oregano, as well, and both are great.

Comment

I need to try the popcorn, but I have a cabinet full of beans that I need to cut down first cause I know if I go on the site, I'll have to order at 50 bucks worth of beans to get the free shipping lol

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here