Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA Concerning Red Kidney Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA Concerning Red Kidney Beans

Beans, beans, the wonderful fruit
    The more you eat, the more you...uh....puke?

I caught this from Allrecipes this morning. Many of you might already know this, but I wanted to share with the group nonetheless: https://www.allrecipes.com/article/k...id=49739280183

Good to know. Thank you, Captain.

Comment

Thanks for the post.

Comment

What a coincidence! We've been discussing this over on this topic. It came up because someone recommended sous vide-ing dried beans at 194° (a recipe from Breville). That temp will kill bacteria but will not disarm a dangerous lectin compound, more concentrated in kidney beans but also present in other beans according to this article:

https://enewsletters.k-state.edu/you...-beans-safely/

What else is important to know is that dry beans (especially kidney beans which are highest in lectin) should never be cooked in a Crockpot, since it does not get hot enough to kill the lectin. Many Crockpots range in temps from 180 to 200° or so, depending on the setting.

Even eating 4 or 5 improperly cooked (not boiled) kidney beans is enough to cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, according to the article.

The FDA says to boil for 10 minutes, but to be extra sure, the article says, 30 minute boiling is best to ensure that all the beans have reached the proper temperature.

For years I've cringed at the crockpot-cooking method for dry beans, which is present is so many cookbooks and online recipes. Maybe for lectin in dry beans there's a time/temp relationship like there is for killing food-borne pathogens, but the FDA doesn't seem to acknowledge it.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; January 29, 2021, 06:51 AM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Great info. Is there a warning label on the beans?
          My wife was surprised, I was also. Canned beans don't seem to be a problem as in 3 or 4 bean salad.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          This is why Steve Sando says to boil the beans for 10 minutes to "show them who’s boss"

Hmmmm ... makes me wonder about those of us living at higher altitudes where water boils at much lower temperatures than at sea level (in my case, barely 200°F at 6300' msl.). Obviously, there are those among us who live even higher than I do (this is, after all, Colorado ... let the Colorado Rocky Mountain "high" jokes begin ) ...

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd say use a pressure cooker or Instapot to compensate.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Dito CaptainMike, My thoughts exactly when I read this.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah ... a pressure cooker or IP is my chosen solution as well. My wife ... not so much ...

wow I did not know this

Comment

I did not know this..

Comment

Thanks for the post. Just goes to show how smart our mothers and grandmothers were when they kept a pot of beans boiling and simmering all day on the stove.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              +1

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup.

Ok, some danger. I will be the devils advocate here and say that we don't see masses of people in
            the emergency rooms for not cooking beans right. Not to say you shouldn't pay attention to this.
            Last edited by Mark V; January 28, 2021, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• JCGrill
              JCGrill commented
              Editing a comment
              I do a lot of the things you aren't supposed to do. I fully expect that someday I will either win the lottery or one of those things will bite me in the arse.

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              One thing I took away from the linked article is that this is likely underreported, since the symptoms typically clear up in about 3 hrs. So, probably not long enough to prompt an ER visit.

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              CaptainMike Huskee Wait, I have been drunk for days at a time and in no condition to drive anyone to a hospital. Jus saying.

Interesting article.

Comment

Comment

Head over to the free side recipes and pick "the science of beans" topic. Meathead covers the lectin thing in detail, including the pressure cooker for high altitudes.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I vaguely recall that now that you mention it.

I’m glad I’m at low altitude.
                Oh, and canned beans are not a problem cuz they’re cooked.

Comment

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  smokin fool Heck, "Hello, good to see you," can be fighting words in Texas

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you didn't tag him he wouldn't hear about it!! smokin fool

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huskee WUPZ....

Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post
                Great info. Is there a warning label on the beans?
                My wife was surprised, I was also. Canned beans don't seem to be a problem as in 3 or 4 bean salad.
                bbqLuv , the problem is only with dry beans cooked at home. They should be boiled for 10 to 30 minutes before simmering. According to this article and others I've read, canned kidney beans and other dried beans are cooked at high temps under pressure in the processing plant, much like our home pressure cooking methods for cooking them. So they are safe to eat right out of the can, if you like.

Kathryn

Edited to add: Oops, I didn't see your post just before mine until just now, FireMan . As usual, I'm eating your dust! You're always a few steps ahead.
                Last edited by fzxdoc; January 29, 2021, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Recently for my chili making, when I included beans, either on the side or in the chili, I've been following the instructions on the bag for the "quick" method, where you put the beans in a pot with the water, bring it to a boil for 10 minutes, then turn it off and let it sit for an hour. You then drain and rinse, and prepare - in my case, I *then* put them in a crockpot or dutch oven, or mixed into the chili to cook with the chili.

I have to wonder if this "quick soak" method, which was on the bag of beans itself, was safe. No one got sick, so I guess we escaped this time, but I'll soak overnight as suggested next time. Or just get cans of Bush's pinto beans, and dump them into the pot on the stove... no worries there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here