Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancho Gordo Midnight Black Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rancho Gordo Midnight Black Beans

No pics today so I know it really didn't happen, but I am pretty full so...

Made some black beans with the Rancho Gordo midnight beans and this recipe (thanks to efincoop for sharing the website):

Simple and flavorful Cuban black beans are the perfect beans to make in the Instant Pot for a quick weeknight recipe using minimal ingredients.

I did them on the stove instead of in the instant pot. They were excellent. I'll take some pics tomorrow when we eat more of them. I am a huge Rancho Gordo fan now. No more store bought dried beans for this guy... Mrs klflowers gave them the thumbs up too!
    Last edited by klflowers; June 14, 2020, 05:46 PM. Reason: Pretty full, not fulls

Sounds excellent! I got some of those midnight black beans from Rancho Gordo as well, think I’m gonna give this recipe a try.

Comment

I have a pound of the Midnight Black that I hadn’t done anything with yet. Now I’m tempted to try this recipe! Love Rancho Gordo!

Comment

I just did my RG Bean inventory over the weekend. We have a lot of beans to eat! I have 3 bags of the Midnight Black. Will definitely be trying this recipe.

Thanks, @klflowers.

Kathryn

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          You are welcome, Kathryn. Thanks go to you for bringing these guys to my attention. I think this weekend I am going to try the Cassoulet

As promised here they are. I can't even describe how good they are. With white rice, fried chicken ( the colonel, we forgot to thaw some out) and a mango salsa we threw together. That Walkerswood hot sauce is pretty good too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200615_195643.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	863386

Comment

I was planning to cook up half of my package of RG Midnight Black beans tomorrow to mix with the last of my pulled chuckie for some tacos. Now I think I know what to do with the other half...

Comment

I read through the recipe, klflowers . I'm tempted to make the sofrito in the IP before adding the beans and soaking liquid. I'll add salt, vinegar and white wine after NPR, using the Saute setting. Would you recommend this?

One of the perks of IP cooking is the one pot method.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; June 16, 2020, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              I am not that well versed in using the instant pot, unfortunately. I made the sofrito in a CI skillet. The only issue I can see would be you wouldn't be able to add the cup of partially cooked beans to the sofrito if you made the sofrito in the IP first. We didn't have any white wine (scandalous, I know), so that was the only step I skipped.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              klflowers, I often mash beans in the Instant Pot when they're done cooking. True, I don't measure a cup exactly, I just mash 3 or 4 times and the bean sauce thickens right up.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              That should work I guess. The recipe makes adding the beans to the sofrito optional anyway

klflowers , I always smash a few beans at the end of every bean cook. It instantly turns the bean liquid into a sauce. If I have any sauce left over, even a small amount, I freeze it to add to soups. It contains tons of flavor.

I'm so eager to give this recipe a try. Thanks so much for the link! Midnight Blacks are one of my favorite Rancho Gordo bean varieties. They make great refried beans too.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; June 17, 2020, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome

I'm going to try this recipe later in the week. Just got my Rancho Gordo midnight beans delivered (had never heard of them before, so thanks for the recommendation). I have a couple pork shanks that I was going to smoke, shred, and then add to the beans. Besides a dry brine, anyone have a spice blend for the pork that would compliment the beans? Thanks!

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              I did the beans just like the recipe with no meat, so no help here. But based on the flavor profile, I think MMD would work. Maybe leave out the sugar in the beans since MMD has sugar in it. That is just a guess though. Thank Kathryn - she mentioned the company in an earlier post.

Has anyone made the Santanero Negro beans and have any comparison with the Midnight Blacks. I got a bag of the Santanero in December and would love some suggestions.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here