Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help cooking Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help cooking Beans

I am going to try beans from dry today for the first time. I am thinking smoked with dried guajillo and chipotle, cumin, garlic and onion. However I did not soak last night.

Can I instapot dry beans, then into a pot with the ingredients above and finish on the smoker? If so, what would be the instapot settings.

Thanks in advance.

Here you go, pjlstrat --how to Quick Soak Dried Beans in an Instant Pot: https://www.paintthekitchenred.com/h...e-instant-pot/

Kathryn

Comment

I have done dry beans in an instant pot a number of times, but I find I prefer them slowly simmered in a pot, either on a smoker or stovetop. I like your seasoning ideas heređź‘Ť

Comment

Last beans I cooked I didn’t soak them at all. They came out fine. But soaking them certainly doesn’t hurt.

Comment

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          +1

Mosca Texas Larry Thank you both for the reply. I am going to try on the smoker with no soak....will let you know!!!
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you’ll be great. Just remember, completely dry beans take somewhere around 60 minutes longer than beans that have been soaked

I pressure cook beans from dry all the time. Yes, finish in the pit under ribs or brisket...yum. best use of brisket or rib trim other than sausage in my opinion.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          For some reason it never occured to me to put a pot of beans under the meat. duh!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          ofelles it’s a fabulous way to cook beans

We do it all the time. Then simmer the beans, no salt, for an hour. Soak for an hour. Then drain and rinse well Carry on from there with any reci-e you have. If you have Lima/butter beans soak a little longer.

Comment

For dried beans bought at the grocery store, I do a "quick soak" .... put them in a pot, cover with a couple inches of water. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Turn off heat, cover the pot, and let them sit for an hour. Drain them and then use them to cook just like you would after a 24 hour soak.

Or just cook like normal, no soak, but they will probably need an extra 30-60 minutes. Comes out the same either way, honestly.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I concur, no noticeable difference between those two methods, in my admittedly summat limited experience with beans lol

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            And if Mr. Bones says it about beans, it’s true

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here