Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancho Gordo Pinto's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rancho Gordo Pinto's

So we got our shipment from Rancho Gordo Tuesday, and like Mosca, we started out with the pinto's. My wife cooked them the same way she always cooks pinto's - she soaked them overnight, seasoned them with salt, black pepper and some garlic powder and cooked them in chicken broth with a ham bone and some chopped onion. Man, these are soooooo good. I am spoiled now; can't go back to grocery store dried beans. They were large and firm and as my wife said, they tasted "fresh". We got the deluxe gift box and added a bag of pinto's and yellow eye beans to the order. Can't wait to try another bag.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Pinto's.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.25 MB ID:	853178

dammit, i think you have sold me.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      At around $5.95 per pound, they are not cheap. But man, they are good. That pic is all I ate last night - pinto's and skillet corn bread. I will probably finish that pot of beans tonight.

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers how long did you cook them for with the ham bone?

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      A couple of hours after soaking them. Without the soak I think they take around 3 hours.

Now you went and made me place an order with them. I have used them for years.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm just glad they have beans back in stock! My RG Bean Club order came last week and 2 of the 6 selections are history already.

Kathryn

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Just got an email today that my order shipped. I am surprised, the site said expect delays.

Man, that looks fantastic. Could've been a pic from Sunday dinner at my grandma's as a kid... there was always a side of pintos with onions and cornbread.

Comment

Wonderful! I've tried the pinquitos from them to go with a Santa Maria style tri tip meal and they are everything you say they are. What your wife mentioned about freshness was my first impression as well.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        How did you prepare your pinquitos?

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Bkhuna if I remember correctly I pulled a recipe for Santa Maria beans off of the internet.

Thanks @klflowers for stimulating a fond memory. 50 plus years ago during an excursion over the jungles of a certain (well, more than one actually) Southeast Asia country we would occasionally prepare a batch of pintos. Our recon plane was large enough to have a modest galley replete with stove. Our onboard Electronic Tech, Malcom Rice, was a good ol' southern boy who liked his beans. His wife would send over bags o' pintos in his "care" packages. I was in charge of getting our mission grub from the flight kitchen so would fenagle whatever pork product was available to add to the cook. A simple food like pintos was a welcome connection to home for us all.

Those beans look so much more substantive than the typical store bought kind, you scored.

Comment

Resistance is futile!

Just submitted my order.

Comment

Have to give a shout out to fzxdoc; she got me interested in trying these guys out. Now I am on the wait list for the bean club.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here on the interest part. I also bought my WSCG due in large part on her recommendation. That is one influential woman!!
            Last edited by CaptainMike; May 28, 2020, 02:13 PM.

Leite's Culinaria has a podcast. In may, their episode was with Steve Sando, founder of Rancho Gordo. An interesting read,

In this podcast episode, We coax Rancho Gordo founder Steve Sando to spill the secrets to soaking and cooking everyone's favorite comfort food, dried beans.

Comment

Those look so good. I was raised on pintos and cornbread. This is the first I’m hearing of these beans. I’ll have to try them sometime.

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              You won't regret it.

I just ordered a couple pounds of pintos and a few other varieties. I’m excited to try them!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here