Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook with Rancho Gordo beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook with Rancho Gordo beans

I used the pinto beans, because I’m generally familiar with pintos.

I did what they wrote on the side of the bag, and what they write in their books and blogs: I chopped a carrot, a celery, an onion and a garlic. I sautéed them in olive oil, then added the beans and water. I brought them to a hard boil for 5 minutes, then lowered to a simmer. I added water occasionally to keep the level above the beans.

After two hours I added some cubed smoked ham, and some salt and pepper (about a teaspoon each). I simmered another half an hour, and called them done.

The flavor is very forward, very alive. These are good beans. They have a nice texture: neither tough nor mushy, but creamy with a little give at the skin.

I’d say that is the biggest difference between these and common canned pintos: the texture, and a more full flavor. Canned pintos are pretty good. If you used them for the rest of your life you’d be doing fine. If you cook these, you get a broader flavor than you get with the one note of the canned beans.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5AB45504-7D4C-4D82-A131-164074E30777.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.34 MB ID:	845042

Thanks for the update. Read really good things about their beans and chickpeas but when I finally got around to going to the website, they were all sold out

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I got something from them saying that their new crops should be in stock soon.

I'm on the waiting list for Marcella beans (my fave) and for chickpeas for hummus.

My Rancho Gordo Bean Club quarterly package arrives this week. Yay!

Yesterday must have been a pinto day, Mosca . I made up a batch as well.

Yours looks delicious. Can't beat ham 'n beans.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; May 13, 2020, 07:05 AM.

Comment

How many pounds of dry beans did you cook, Mosca?

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Just the one. We had them last night as a side dish, and tonight I’m having a bowl for dinner.
      Last edited by Mosca; May 13, 2020, 09:54 AM. Reason: Spelling

Got some on the way. Can't wait.

Comment

I can’t wait to try one of the ones I’ve never tried before, the yellow eye or scarlet runners, or the ojo de cabra. I’ve had the anasazis before.

Comment

One of my reservations about cooking beans is sort of the same one I have with sous vide: by the time I know what I want to make for dinner, the time to start it has passed. With old beans, you either soak them the day before, or do the fast soak (boil then set for two hours). With these beans, I rinsed them and cooked them. No night-before planning, no prep-at-noon-for-6PM stuff. 5 minute hard boil, then simmer until tender.

Comment

Those look great! And yeah, love the fact that you can cook Rancho Gordo beans in about 3 hours start to finish

Comment

They cook in waaay less than 3 hours in the pressure cooker.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; May 14, 2020, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here