Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eric’s Method For Drunken Texas Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric’s Method For Drunken Texas Beans

Description

I take the idea of borracho beans (drunken beans) from Mexico and cross them with traditional Texas beans. Texas beans are not sweet and thick like baked beans, they are savory, firm beans, with a bit of spice. What results is, I believe, one of the greatest BBQ side dishes ever. And you could just serve it as a main dish with some crusty bread and Shiner Bock!

I personally use Rancho Gordo beans, which are much different from the several years old dried beans you get in the grocery store. If you can get Rancho Gordo beans, you won’t regret it. If not, then prepare the beans according to the normal method. Soak for 12 hours and then boil for 30 minutes. Then follow the rest of the recipe. If you use Rancho Gordo beans, there is no need for the soak and boil preparation at all. Just put the beans in and cook.​

Ingredients

16 oz dried beans (2X 15 oz canned beans if you insist)
    12 oz Shiner Bock or other good lager
    4-8 oz meat — ham, brisket, pork shoulder, chuck roast, whatever.
    24 oz chicken stock (or stock made using that hamhock or ham bone)
    4 slices bacon
    1 large onion, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
    1 can whole, diced, or crushed tomatoes
    1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    2 bay leaves
    2 jalapeños, ribs and seeds removed, diced​

Directions

In a bit of olive oil, cook bacon until the fat is rendered. Reserve the bacon
    Add onions and cook in bacon fat until translucent, about 10 minutes
    Add the cumin, pepper, garlic, bay leaves and cook until aromatic, about 2 minutes
    Add the beer and deglaze the pot
    Add the tomatoes, meat, beans, stir together
    Add enough stock to cover the beans and meat by at least one inch
    Bring to a boil for 5 minutes
    Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook about 3 1/2 hours .... but this isn’t precise.
    Check every so often and if the beans are getting too thick, add some stock
    About 3 hour mark, start checking the beans for done. Done is when they have a clean bite, but are firm not mushy.
    Once done, add the jalapeño.
    Let stand off the heat for at least 20 minutes and then serve​

Notes

Meat - no need to go buy meat specifically for the beans. Use some leftover meat from another cook. Ham, pork shoulder, brisket, chuck roast, etc. If you do need some meat, get something cheap like hamhocks or maybe a ham steak. If you get hamhocks (yum) make a stock first :-)

Beer - my personal favorite for this is Shiner Bock. But any decent lager will do. Don’t use something like Coors or Budweiser or a Pilsener of any sort, they are too hoppy and you won’t like how it changes the flavors. A lager of some sort will help add richness and flavor.

Simmer - for beans this means get the temperature on your stove to the point where you are getting just 2-3 bubbles per second in the pot. No more than that. You may have to balance the burner temp with the lid partly off the pot. This actually works well because it lets the steam escape and slowly get the pot of beans to thicken.

Scaling - If you want to serve enough for 3-4 adults, use 8 oz dried beans. Still use a 12 oz bottle of bear, same amount of meat, etc. Cut the onion in half. You may need UP TO 24 oz of stock. Basically, once the meat, beer, etc are in the pot, then add enough stock (beef, chicken, home made, etc) until you raise the level of the beans by 1 - 1.5 inches. No more than that.​​

Updated to be Paprika friendly.

All the ingredients for a pot of Eric’s Drunken Beans .... in the ziplock bag is 12 oz of homemade stock using a ham bone
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A42D10F7-BDA0-4385-BD3F-81F8FA714D4B.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	4.13 MB ID:	838744

I used leftover pork shoulder, about 6 oz worth, this time.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E3C1BC13-0C94-48B5-B33C-04A199206439.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	4.44 MB ID:	838745

Sautéing onions, garlic, and spices in bacon fat

Click image for larger version  Name:	06B65A35-ACAA-4C4C-BA59-B54B5B521993.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	3.34 MB ID:	838743

Added ham stock, tomatoes and beer to the pot. Now to finish covering with some chicken stock and bring to a boil .... 5 minute boil and then simmer for hour several hours.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_114361.jpg Views:	15 Size:	3.16 MB ID:	838742

They are done ..... notice the beans aren’t split .... simmer gently. Add jalapeños right at the end.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BDA125F7-FE28-4F51-A2B8-945A836E2CDD.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	3.61 MB ID:	838747

Served as a side dish with ribs

Click image for larger version  Name:	56CEB3B9-122F-4D2C-ADAE-2135ABC2975B.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	838748
    Last edited by ecowper; February 8, 2024, 05:10 PM. Reason: Updated to be Paprika friendly

Posted this one just for Mr. Bones and fzxdoc

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much, Eric. This recipe is a keeper for sure.

Kathryn

Oh, those beans look mighty darn good. Thanks for sharing this, Eric!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife doesn’t really like beans ... but she asks me to make my "Texas beans that go with BBQ so good and aren’t sweet" .... I take that as a huge compliment

Oh boy....another recipe for the bucket list....I'm gunna need a bigger bucket pretty soon.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      You can do them with pretty much any handful of leftover meat, not just pulled pork. In Texas in the old days they just scrounged up whatever they could to add a bit of meat and flavor to the pot. Feel free to do it with whatever is handy in the fridge.

Made beans last night to go with the roadside chicken. Soaked overnight, boiled for maybe 45 minutes, made a Boston baked beans recipe. The beans were wonderful tasting but firm.

Comment

Nice writeup, thanks fer sharin! I'll be givin em a try, soon!

( I wrote this minutes after ya posted, got sidetracked, didn' hit POST )

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Just remember, I have to try and take my "throw crap in the pot" method and turn it into an actual recipe .... you’re gonna have to adjust a couple times til you are happy.

I know what those will taste like. They will taste...

good.

I’ll make them soon.

Comment

Oh man, with a couple of minor tweaks this is pretty much what I do. I knew there was something I liked about you, and it's not just the cigars. Seriously Eric, I hope this, your chili, and your brisket are going to be the featured recipes in your cookbook.

Comment

Looks excellent. Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. Goes on the list.

Comment

Those sound great. Definitely try that this summer. Thanks for the write up.

Comment

I was hoping you would post this recipe, can't wait to try it!

The tomatoes - 28 oz. can?

EDIT - zoomed in on the picture and answered my own question.
                Last edited by 58limited; April 28, 2020, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ecowper Making these today finally. As you said, its whatever you have handy. Out of dry beans. but have a 28oz pack of fresh frozen black eyed peas. Used 18 oz.of blonde beer from a local brewery, No fresh jalapenos so I used a can of Hatch brand sliced jalapenos (I really like these, they are not pickled so they taste like jalapenos, not vinegar) - this probably came out to 4 peppers in volume. I used about 12 oz of pulled pork from the freezer and two small links of green onion sausage.
                  Last edited by 58limited; May 3, 2020, 07:22 AM.

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My sister made some beans once that I thought were outstanding, she used oregano in them so I added 1 tsp of dried Mexican oregano leaves to this batch. Its a big batch so I doubled the cumin and black pepper too.
                  Last edited by 58limited; May 3, 2020, 07:23 AM.

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  58limited sounds great!

Looks good. Always looking for a not sweet bean recipe. I will give this a try. Thanks.

Comment

Definitely trying this! The last bean soup recipe I made from your post was amazing. Thanks!

Comment

This looks great. Very detailed and the pics are awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here