Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancho Gordo Showed Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rancho Gordo Showed Up

Just got a delivery from Rancho Gordo ..... Desert Island Sampler and the Cassoulet Sampler ..... can’t wait to try and make my own Cassoulet!

Click image for larger version

Name:	78A16747-5295-44A0-AFB4-21BD1BB32E42.jpeg
Views:	543
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	826628

Name:	C40FECE1-AC19-45EA-A6DF-8B430FDF71E5.jpeg
Views:	467
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	826629

Those cassoulet beans are super tasty, even just cooked up with onion, garlic, and bay leaves. I might have to make cassoulet this week my own self, seems like good rainy weather food.

Oh, and if you see that they have Sangre de Toro beans, buy them. Those things are fabulous.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome .... I’ve bought Steve’s Desert Island Sampler several times, but nothing else. Decided I wanted to make my own cassoulet :-)

Wow, nice, EC!!!
    Lookin forward to yer cooks, kinda likeys me some beans, now an again!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      You know me and beans brother!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yessir, I do, indeed!
      Reckon that's why I'm So Very Much lookin forward to yer legume-related adventures!

You're going to love those beans, ecowper . I'm a member of their Bean Club. Due to the unusually high volume of orders to RG in these times, they have moved back our second quarter club delivery to May so they can handle the influx of orders.

The best thing about being in the Bean Club is that we're introduced to lots of new, some limited in quantity, beans. The worst thing is that the beans pile up in my cupboard! I have so many varieties that need to be eaten. Husband is not as much a bean lover as I am, so often I cook a pound of them in the Instant Pot and eat from it all week for late lunches. One pound makes about 4 cups of beans, and the broth is amazing. If not all the broth is used, I freeze it for soups. It takes a while to get through those beans.

If interested, go to the Rancho Gordo topic here on the Pit. There's a lot of good advice there.

Kathryn

Edited to add: Those Domingo Rojo beans make wonderful red beans and rice. My fav white beans are Marcellas.
    Last edited by fzxdoc; April 6, 2020, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      2 Marcella references in one day, Sweet!! I love that story of how they named that variety.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been thinking about joining their Bean Club .... think I'll pull the trigger now. And we just got an Instant Pot ....

Domingo Rojo beans are fantastic. Perfect for red beans and rice.

Comment

I’ve been meaning to try Rancho Gordo. They don’t have much left, but I found a few that I think I would like.

If you order today, expect delivery mid-May. That’s okay with me, it will fall from the sky and I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Rancho Gordo is great. Have used them for years. I haven't ordered for quite a while because like Kathryn I am over stocked, so I didn't know they were back logged.
        The cassoulet bundle should be real good. D'Artagnan Foods has a kit I tried also, it's very good.

Comment

Beans, beans the magical fruit. Afraid I'm not a bean aficionado like ya'll but I do cook a bad ass bowl of black and/or pinto beans. Sure love to see a cassoulet cook show up after your done with yours ecowper, I'm open to expanding my bean horizons...

Name:	hatch lintel soup 01.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	827035

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman True they are expensive but the ingredients can be sourced somewhere else for less $. Still not an inexpensive dish.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman, at the risk of sounding plebian, here's the Rancho Gordo recipe which is pretty good. Not as rich as the duck-duck-goose recipe from D'Artagnan (minus the goose) , but still pretty good.

For a long time, one of the best invitations in the Napa Valley was Sarah Scott’s Christmas party and the inevitable main dish cassoulet.

Kathryn

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow that’s much more plebeian for us plebs Kathryn !!! Thanks !! 👍

Rancho Gordo beans are the best. A little soak and they have the texture and taste of fresh. Our latest shipment is due in few weeks as the pandemic panic has pushed their sales up.
          Last edited by rwhfly; April 6, 2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I was skeptical when my GF ordered her first box, but man, those quality beans make a big big difference in flavor. Never gettin' my beans anywhere else!

Comment

That's how I feel about Rancho Gordo beans, and why I persist as a Bean Club member. Plus their hominy is awesome, as are their chiles and spices. In addition, I feel good about helping out those folks that Rancho Gordo is focused on working with.

Kathryn

Comment

• Cheef
                Cheef commented
                Editing a comment
                YOU SAID HOMINY! Now I need to know more. My experience with hominy is limited to out of the can, lightly fried in bacon grease.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Cheef , I predominantly use hominy in pork posole, either red or green. Growing up, we ate a lot of hominy, prepared just as you describe. That brought back memories. Thanks.

Kathryn

Thanks yall, fer th reminder; ordered me up some new ones, though I'll haveta wait a spell...
              No Prob, well worth th wait time, ime...

Kinda likeys me some beans, now an again...

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I likeys me some beans every once in a spell, too

So, going to do some of those Rancho Gordo beans with some leftover pulled pork. Treat it like beans and ham hocks, but hope I get some Smokey goodness in there, too

Comment

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                Variation on Senate Navy Bean soup maybe?

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                exactly what I was thinking

Got a ham bone from my neighbor’s Easter ham ..... Cassoulet is ON!

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                ofelles probably will start it on Thursday ..... ham bone for the stock, pulled pork, mild pork sausage, and I think I will run by the butcher and get a couple duck legs :-)

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                sounds good 👍

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Makin smoked spare rib stock right now, started it last night...

Link
                Link

House is smellinMighty Fine, here, gotta say

I should have enough stock to do ~ 2-3 bean 6-person cooks, when I'm done, eyebulb guesstimate...

Lookin forward to yer cassoulet cook, brother!
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 15, 2020, 01:55 PM.

I was recently fixin to make Cassoulet with left over duck..... I read the details and quickly decided NFW I just do not have that much time to do it proper. Excited to hear how it turns out.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                It looks like it’s 5-6 hours to do it right. I’ve got nothing but time :-)

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here