Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked/Baked beans with Bean Blend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked/Baked beans with Bean Blend?

Ok with all the current grocery store hoarding, there are not dried beans on the shelf. I have about two pound of a mixed dry bean blend (think 10 bean variety) left from a large Costco purchase. Has anyone tried making BBQ baked beans with a mix like this? I have concocted a great recipe that I normally use Great Northern Beans with but might try it with these since I have them and time on my hands. Thanks for feedback.

Never used that specific thing, but we have made mixed bean baked beans. You want to make sure they have similar cooking times. Makes for an interesting dish, just like when you mix a few different cheeses in.

ps you could pass for a family member with your pic. Are your people from Eastern Europe?
    Last edited by EdF; March 26, 2020, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I’ve never used a 10 bean blend, but I have used a blend of a few kinds. It worked well for me.

Comment

EdF - my family tree is more in Denmark and Germany than what I'd call Eastern Europe

Comment

The flavor and texture of baked beans made with a blend of beans will be a little different than your recipe with just one bean type. But it certainly works and tastes good. You might find you like it as well (or dare I suggest ... even better?) than your one-bean version.

A recipe called "calico beans" is similar to what you're proposing to do, although most calico bean recipes on the internet start with canned beans, not dry. But there's no reason why a person can't begin with a dry bean blend.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here