Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Store Bought Baked Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Store Bought Baked Beans

What's the best brand of baked beans? We make our own, but it's nice to have some on hand for an easy meal. We primarily buy Bush's, but I was wondering if there was a better option, maybe order a case online.

I like Wal-Mart's. They are very neutral but with enough flavor to start with and I can sauce them up to my liking. Adding maple syrup, molasses, and other goodies That way we get what we want. Then I throw them on the smoker till they are cooked. Yum.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 3, 2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Bush.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Costco has / had (never can tell) the smaller cans by the case.

• Grapefarmer
        Grapefarmer commented
        Editing a comment
        I use these as a as a basis for my baked beans then add molasses, mustard, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, bacon, etc. A good bean to start.

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

Another vote for Bush's, we find the other brands turn to mush to easily.
      I've vowed to make my own on day....but I break vows all the time....

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        smokin fool get on that! Read @Mr Bones . His posts on beans are amazing. I have been in hot pursuit of perfect baked beans since May and have found that cooking the beans in a pressure cooker for an hour is a cool hack for starting with dried beans. Add scraps of pulled pork or rib meat and you've got yourself a main dish!

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I know.
        My aunt makes absolutely fantastic homemade beans, she's given me the recipe dozens of times....just never get down to it
        ....but one day!!!!

As a UK guy i only have one answer...Heinz. Very different from most american brands like Bush though.

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Also available on Amazon, I'll add some to my order

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Fantastic on toast covered in cheddar or HP sauce

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Heinz baked beans is good stuff indeed.

My wife and I are at odds on which Bush's to buy. She like without onions, and I like with, so guess which we eat most often...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Whether store brand, or bush's, I always buy multiple (select) flavours, mix em together, doctor em up some, to suit my desired flavour profile...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 3, 2019, 05:52 PM.

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        I buy all varieties, but onion are my favorite

Bush's beans are great, so is the HEB store brand here in Texas.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 5.14.42 PM.png
Views:	607
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	724657

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	AA025BDC-7AEE-498C-ADF1-414A3B2E8F94.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	96.9 KB ID:	724713 I like my baked beans a bit mushier and a bit thicker.

Im not sure if this brand is available around the country or not.

I’ll doctor them up a bit by finely dicing up some onion and cooking it with some chopped up bacon until the onion is translucent. I’ll next throw about a 1/4 cup of brown sugar and a couple squirts of yellow mustard into the bacon/onion mixture. Once everything is all happy in the pan I’ll mix everything in with the beans.

If there are leftovers these beans make the best bean sandwiches.

Comment

Originally posted by grantgallagher View Post
          As a UK guy i only have one answer...Heinz. Very different from most american brands like Bush though.

Comment

If yer in a time crunch, these here are purty passable, imo...

Millers Baked Beans

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback

Comment

Showboat

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1 on Showboat. My wife uses them as the base of her baked beans.

I'm with Histrix--B&M (no toilet jokes here!) are what I grew up with. Now, though, if'n we don't make our own (pintos or Boston baked), we usually use one of the Bush's varieties, which are fine.

Comment

Ok, so what kind of beans are "small white beans?"
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Navy Beans, Sir!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here