Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Red Mexican Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Glad to hear it worked out well, CRO. Creamy, tender beans in a spicy sauce with sausage is a dish fit for the gods.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    commented on 's reply
    Goya is common around here

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Wut she sed.

• CRO
    replied
    Well, I tried it again.
    I did fzxdoc method of a quick soak, but I went 5 minutes. Drained and rinsed, then added chili powder, garlic and onion and pressured cooked for 35 minutes. The beans are very tender and creamy.
    There is a lot of liquid left over, I'm thinking of draining it and adding some sausage to the beans.

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    IowaGirl It really is easy to get set in the way I do things because it works for me and forget there are different methods that work as good or sometimes better also. Peace out ✌

• FireMan
    replied
    After further thought, it would be interesting to delve into these beans, since they come from an area that is specific in description & different than we are used to. Plus, the people who raised these little gems probably didn’t have an instant pot to cook em in. Just thinkin. 🕶

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Yup:I soak.
    Yup:I salt.
    Sometimes, I makes me some good beans.
    ymmv, please, feel free to adjust, accordingly...

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Startin to think I ain't all cray cray, kinda, fer speakin of three day beans, as per previous...lol

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    IMO, Rancho Gordo Rules, so no apology necessary, Amigo!
    But, meh: whadda I know, bout beans, anyhow

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    that mightbe your problem...

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    I was not trying to say salt HAS to be added -- I agree that's most definitely a personal choice. I was responding to your statement "they will never soften if you do" add salt. That's not ever been the case in my experience.

• mnavarre
    commented on 's reply
    If I soak, I salt. For beans where I don't soak I salt after they've hit a hard boil and been turned back down to a simmer. Beans in the IP just get salt from go.

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    Dry brine, wet brine, inject...............or not. Lots of opinions. I've read both ways. I don't salt but some do.

• IowaGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Darchie03 View Post
    ...never salt before cooking as they will never soften if you do....
    I haveta say this is contradictory to my experience and to what the Serious Eats folks have found in their testing. From Serious Eats:

"...For the best, creamiest, most flavorful beans, season your bean-soaking water with one tablespoon of kosher salt per quart (about 15 grams per liter), rinse the beans with fresh water before cooking, then add a pinch of salt to the cooking water as well...."

What is a no-no is adding an acid to the beans before they're fully cooked. Vinegar, tomato, etc. should wait until the beans are nearly or fully cooked.

More: https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/03/...ied-beans.html
    and: https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/...king-tips.html

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Oh THAT method. I understand now. Thanks for the clarification. Looks like you did everything right, from my perspective, that is. Those must be some tough beans!

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here