Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pedantic, Obtuse, or just Plain Dumb, You Decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pedantic, Obtuse, or just Plain Dumb, You Decide

So I was looking at Meathead's Boston Barbecue Beans recipe and the recipe call for 3 to 4 hours to cook. Most of the time my ribs take 5 hours per Last-Meal, or obviously even longer for butts.

My question, when do you cook the beans? At the start of longer cooks when all kinds of goodness are dripping off of the meat, and end up reheating the beans. Or, put them in towards the end of the cook when there are less drippings, but come off around the same time as the main dish?

Beans are one of those low and slow things that have a pretty substantial low heat hold time. I don’t see them having to be timed exactly, just turn down the heat and cover.

Btw, every time I see the word ‘obtuse’ it reminds me of one of my favorite scenes in Shawshank Redemption where Andy calls the warden obtuse and gets thrown in the hole. Great flick.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll watch the whole movie just to see the Ford Red catches a ride in. I'd love to have that truck.

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a great scene, and a great movie, for that matter.

Reading the thread title I thought you were talking about me....

Comment

On a long smoke I usually put the beans in after the meat's been on for a while. The fat doesn't really start to render until it hits 140 or so. To quote Carl Spackler in Caddyshack... "I don't think the heavy stuff's going to come down for quite a while."

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here