Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Louisiana Red Beans With Tasso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Louisiana Red Beans With Tasso

I made tasso just so I could add it to red beans, jambalaya, and make Tasso Cream Pasta (look it up, it's delicious with crawfish or shrimp). I just made a batch of red beans and got some requests to post it, so here goes.

Here's my recipe for tasso (click on the link). I'm always open to suggestions, so if any Cajuns want to comment on my technique, please do! You can buy tasso in the grocery store in Louisiana & environs, or mail-order it from several sources. It's more fun to make your own.

Red beans & rice can be a side dish or a meal in itself. This one is intended as a side dish. I'd use less tasso and add a package of andouille sausage if I was making this as a main dish. Meathead has a recipe on the main page, though mine is different. Red beans recipes are a bit like chili. Everyone has their own special twist.

1 lb Camellia brand dried red kidney beans (preferred). Can use generic kidney beans or "small red beans" (a Mexican ingredient that works well)
    Olive oil to saute tasso & veggies. Or you can use bacon grease (traditional) if you have it.
    8 oz tasso, diced into quarter-inch cubes
    1 medium-to-large white onion, diced
    1 medium-to-large green bell pepper, diced
    2 celery ribs, diced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1.5 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp dried thyme leaves
    3 bay leaves
    1 quart chicken stock plus 2 cups water, OR 2 quarts water plus one pork bone if you've got one (hocks, smoked bones, etc).

Technique:

I have many uses for my pressure cooker, or for recipes using canned beans. Red beans is not one of them. It's simple food with a "country poor folks" heritage, but like most Louisiana recipes the technique is important to get right. You want to gently simmer pre-soaked beans until they are tender and a few have burst to create a rich sauce.

You'll need a five to six quart pot or dutch oven for this recipe.

Brine dried beans overnight in 2 quarts water and 1.5 tablespoons of table salt. Drain & rinse.
    Heat oil or bacon grease in your pot on medium heat.
    Saute tasso until it is browned and starting to sweat some fat. Stir, take it slow, and don't burn the spices. Add water to scrape stuff off the bottom of the pan if needed.
    Add the onions, bell pepper, and celery and saute, stirring, until the onions are translucent.
    Make a clear space in the pan. Dump in the garlic and saute for a minute or two.
    Add the paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, and bay leaves. Saute until fragrant (about a minute), stirring.
    Add the liquid and beans. I use Minor's chicken base because I don't usually have smoked pork bones in the house. If you have bones or want to buy a ham hock then just use water.
    Stir to combine, then bring the pot to a boil. Reduce heat to a vigorous simmer for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally, leaving the pot uncovered.
    When the beans start to get tender, reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer until the beans are very tender but not falling apart. By this time the sauce should have turned into a thick red stew-like texture. Add some water while cooking if it gets too thick.
    Taste & add salt if needed. You're looking for a well-seasoned but not overly spicy taste with a rich mouth feel. People can always add hot sauce as they eat if they want more spice.
    Total cook time: it varies with the freshness of the beans. Usually 1.5 to 2 hours.

Serve as-is, or with rice.

I've found that this is a "love it or leave it" dish. Most people (myself included) can't get enough. Others just really don't care for beans, even if they are loaded with pork & seasonings.

Enjoy!

Great, detailed writeup, Nice Job!!!!!

I'm lookin forward to tryin these!

Comment

Thank you Anton32828 now I need some red beans and rice. Have always ordered my Tasso. Will make my own next time. And yes add a ham hock always adds great flavor.

Comment

I grew up in New Orleans and my mother cooked with a Creole emphasis. The recipe would have been simpler and cooked in a pressure cooker. It would have been something like this.

1 medium-to-large white onion, diced
        1 medium-to-large green bell pepper, diced (probably a half)
        3 garlic cloves, chopped
        1/2 tsp ground black pepper
        A ham bore or piece of salt pork which we called pickle meat
        1 Tablespoon of flour

She would have browned everything in the pressure cooker before adding water and cooking it under pressure. The beans were whole and tender and the sauce was creamy.

Comment

• Anton32828
          Anton32828 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I'll have to try it. I cook black beans & navy beans in my pressure cooker, but I've steered away from red beans perhaps for incorrect / superstitious reasons!

I've noticed that home recipes shared like yours, or in church / parish cookbooks, are always much simpler than the popular hits on the internet. I suspect food-channel inspired complexity has influenced these recipes. In mine the paprika just there for color, and the bay leaves because chefs always insist on them. lol

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Anton32828 Most red bean recipes do include bay leaves and my wife uses it in her recipe. Growing up I think the only thing we used bay leaf for was seafood boils. My aunt used it a lot more. I may have asked you this question before, but my given name is Anton as was my Dad’s and Grandfather’s. Is it your given name and where did you grow up?

Sounds good to me.

Comment

Nice recipe and very similar to how I make them. I've made them so many times, no recipe is followed. I always keep Camelia brand in the house.

For an added twist, I pour in a good slug of red wine about 30 minutes prior to serving.

Lately, my wife and I forgo the rice. I just thicken it up a little more. Damn fine eaten

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here