Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweet beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet beans

1# navy beans- soak 12 hrs. in good water with tablespoon of salt. Drain, add more water and boil for 1/2 hr. Drain and set aside.
    In a crock pot a quart and a half of canned Dole's Pineapple Juice- 2-1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar- 8 whole cloves. About a pound of a good smoked ham (Smithfield, Cook's ect.). Spiral ham is easiest to work with. Trim all the fat off the edges and freeze what you don't use for next batch.
    Put on high for 2 hrs. then turn to low for another 6 hrs.
    Take out meat and set aside. Pour liquid through strainer and refrigerate until fat forms at surface ( 6-8 hrs.) Skim fat and discard.
    Put beans and liquid on low for 6-8 hrs. Last 2 hrs. add meat. I chop it up and never use it all. The leftover meat is sandwich fare or ham and eggs ect. Stir every hr. It will thicken and turn a nice rich brown.

I love navy bean soup but had never even imagined making a sweet variety. Thanks for opening my horizons to a new take on an old friend.

Comment

• mad mike
      mad mike commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm a big fan of real homemade Navy bean soup. I make a real good one.

Kinda, occasionally, likeys me some beans, now, an then....

Yers sound delish, an I would love to try em!

Way out on a limb, but wonderin if yer dealin with extreme dietary (fat) restrictions, as millions are / do?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops, btw; got any pics? Might help justify my droolin...
      mad mike

• mad mike
      mad mike commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't have capability to post pictures.

• mad mike
      mad mike commented
      Editing a comment
      No Fat problems

Not dealing with a diet or fat problems. These beans are mostly fat free if you trim the fat off the ham then refrigerate overnight after cooking and skim off the fat that gets hard at the top. Not much of that but I do it anyway. I also love Navy bean soup but this is a whole different animal.

Comment

Cool beans, Amigo! mad mike Thanks fer yer response!​

I'll be tryin these beans soon, as I said, previous^^^^Loves Me Some Beans, as might be readily evident! ​

Reason I asked was: I was summat mystified by yer method/ intended results from:
      Trim all the fat off the edges and freeze what you don't use for next batch.
      Pour liquid through strainer and refrigerate until fat forms at surface ( 6-8 hrs.) Skim fat and discard.

simply tryin to unnerstand yer reasonin to do so...

Sounds like/seems like that would take quite some time investiture...

If one was harvestin from th cook, to flavour th next batch, then I do that, alla th time, like many, of course.​
      (reckon if I was a doin that, why, I'd take ~half th trimmed fat, leave half, so this pot could be as flavour-rich as th next one...) Fat is Flavour.

Reckon my main curiosity was whether alla that trimmin/drainin/chillin/skimmin was intended to reap a significant fat reduction, an what might necessitate such measures. As initially said; I do unnerstand some folks have extreme dietary restrictions.

Accordin to Th Bean Institute, Navy Beans have 0.6g fat per 1/2 C servin...
      ​
      1# dry beans = 12 1/2 C servins, so...54 calories of fat per servin...

Accordin to Smithfield, their smoked spiral cut ham has 130 calories per 3 oz servin...divide by 3= 43.33 calories per oz. times 16/12 =57.78 calories per bean servin, but we were talkin bout fat...
      ​

Calories from fat=63 per 3 oz servin...divided by 3=21 per oz. times 16 divided by 12=28 calories per 1/2C servin of beans...

I estimate trimmin alla th edge fat from a spiral cut ham to mebbe remove, 3-7% fat, let's be generous, an calculate 10%. fer science's sake...

54 cal beans+28 cal ham/fat= calories per servin=82 calories-10%(8.2), so a reduction of 8.2 cals / serving=73.8 cals / servin, generously a 10% fat reduction, vs effort expended...

Smithfield Ham, as shown, is 0.48% fat, so my reasonin fer not trimmin offa th edges was (is) that a (generous)10% reduction in fat is not, to me, worth alla th effort/labour involved, unless there are circumstances which medically required such...

I am lookin forward to tryin this bean receipt out, bein under no such restrictions!
      Many Thanks fer sharin, Brother!

Please, be aware that I am, in no way, shape, or form questionin what yer doin, simply tryin to wrap my brain around it all...

Have a Great Weekend, Brother!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here