Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Mess O' Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Mess O' Beans

According to my wife: "So, on Friday you make beans and on Saturday you cook meat."

Yeah.

She ain't wrong folks. So as it's Friday, let's make some beans.

I bought a couple of smoked ham hocks at the store the other day, and I've got the bone from the picnic shoulder I smoked last weekend (Saturday, as it turns out), some grocery store bacon, and Jalapeño, onion, and garlic.

I'm not sure where I'm going with these, but no matter where you go there you are.

So, the "recipe" so far

1 lb. Peruano beans. (Pintos would work just as well)
    3 slices bacon, cut into lardons
    1/2 onion, diced 1/4"
    2 large Jalapeños, minced
    Enough garlic. minced, pressed. whatever.
    2 smoked ham hocks
    1 bone from that picnic shoulder you smoked the other day
    a bunch of cilantro stems from that bunch that probably should have gone out with the trash.
    Chicken stock or water.

Bay leaves, which I forgot until just now. Two seems good.

Saute the bacon in a dutch oven, fish it out when done. Sweat the onions in the hog fat, add the jalapeños when the onions are close to done, add the garlic for a minute.

Add beans, stock and/or water and bring to a hard boil for a few minutes. cover & reduce to a bare simmer. Add all the pork.

And now we wait and think about any other spices we may want to throw in. And drink beer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4081.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	610923

I already want me some, Brother! (Can provide mailin address, GPS info, etc. )
    Please, do keep me posted.
    Thanks, an all that.

Comment

Dang!
      Are they done, yet?

Lookin forward to yer post, brother!

Comment

Mr. Bones, They're getting' mighty close. Dem bones have given up their goodness, the beans are almost there and the hocks... still need some time.

Name:	IMG_4083.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	610954

As far as seasoning, I think a bit of cumin and oregano will do, maybe a fresh jalapeño minced up, but i might just leave that out. Salt + Pepper goes without saying.

Name:	IMG_4082.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	610953

Comment

Look like you will be fueled up for a while. Love them beans.

Comment

Done! Added about 2 tsp. of mexican oregano, a tsp. of ground cumin, a little ground coriander, and then salt & pepper to taste. Meanwhile, the hocks got cool enough to get the meat out.

Name:	IMG_4084.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	611211

Finished:

Name:	IMG_4086.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	611212

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd eat that!

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              Amazing!

Mmmm. Delicious

Comment

Looks fantastic. Nice job.

Comment

I'm all in on this obvious Bean Extravaganza!!!

Fine Job, there, Brother!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here