Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Hill of Beans III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    I totally respect her right to keep her receipts to herself...perhaps showin her my ugly mug will assure her that I won't be replacin her, in yer life!

Thanks, be real careful with th Spy work; that can end badly...

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Mr. Bones, she is kind of stingy with those recipes, but I'll spy on her next time and post it. It will only cost me a little bit of jewelry or something. And anytime you are in the area, you are welcome to drop on by.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    More on th heat, below, Brother...

They got more than enough brown sugar, an molasses flavour, outta th can...

If I was doin em from dry, those'd be major necessities, to make a proper batch...

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Lol!

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Earlier, there was some questions, which I will try to address, hereabouts:

As to Th Heat, in final product, well, I gots this to say...

Yall seen what I broke up, put in there, huh? Sure ya did...

Early tastins, right up to wrappin, an goin to bed as they held @170°, was not revealin much, if any noticeable capsaicin notes, in my flavour profile...

There's a few things I've learned, in this life, believe it, or not...

One of them is that some ingredients are cumulative, in a dish...

Salt is a great example, hot peppers is another good one...

Cookin / minglin time slowly brings these flavour components more out front, than when ya added em, is th best way I reckon I can explain it...

It's also incredibly easy to add more either salt, or hot peppers to a final dish...NOT so dang easy to take it out, at all

So, I bided my time, waited fer th flavours to bloom...didn't open em, Friday AM, an even take one last taste...

Now, I haveta admit, I sit, an covertly watch others consume my cookin, without bein obvious, which'd skew th results...

What I was shootin fer, as posted above, was a lil "after heat", an, Lucky Ba$tard that I am, I nailed zackly that trait!!!

I watched several folks mow down on bite after bite, servin after servin... an then...

An watched th slow realization cross their faces, that there was some miniscule amount of ingredient at work that is roughly ~1000 times hotter than Habaneros

Some crimson faces, altered voices, watery eyes, an facial/cranial sheens were observed, on some of those who have ~0 tolerance to pepper heat...an some questions were asked, an fielded, as to ingredients I mighta (did) use, in this batch...

Creeper Heat... Mission accomplished. Perfectamundo!

If I had added more pepper heat, night before, they would have been inedible, fer most hominids, an other recognized life forms, leavin me to consume th whole pan

Even those who don't like/tolerate heat well were complimentary, but surprised at how it had snuck up on em, after many spoonfuls.

Sometimes, ya jus nail it, an a good lesson is to trust yer instincts, an experience...

Moderation in cookin is always easier than embarrassed apologies, in my experience.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 23, 2018, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    List of what I didn't put into my beans is now, finally complete.
    It took up an inoordinate amount of my time, but I consider it well worth th efforts, fer th results, so here it is:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Santamarina I'd love to hear yer take on slaw, an tater salad, both. Cain't see no reasons, whatsoever, why either one would affect yer man card status...

Totally with ya, re: Boston Baked Beans. I love em, but it is, decidedly, not th bean profile I purvey...

My whole game has been: these canned, baked beans that I have are always way over-sweet, (Boston) fer th flavour profile I'm seekin, to compliment my other foods...throw in some variety, an make life fun...

If I wanted to sit down, an eat a bag of brown sugar, why, then, that's what I'd do...

I like to think that beans can be so much more than that!

Addin in lots of savoury, an, this time, some "after heat" makes em much more enjoyable, by alla th feedback I've been receivin.

As ya can plainly see, this is/has been/always will be jus one big Science Experiment, with myriad volunteers contributin their taste buds...

It's My Happy Place, makin food that folks enjoy! Easily among th most enjoyable, an rewardin pursuits, in this Life...

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Lol! Yer so funny, Brother!

Thanks fer them kind words!

• gcdmd
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Mr. Bones

It's good to see that you're still ploppin' and bloppin' with the best of 'em.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks fer yer kind words, Amigo!
    Let's tailor ya up a personalized batch, together...
    I'm In.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Th Hill with it, I'd haveta say.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Nope, Doc...I jus dump em in, lock, stock, an barrel...any reduction in liquid levels has to be achieved by cookin, when I make beans, an food, in general.

Glad to hear from ya, Amigo!

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Guessin right bout here would be a timely place to mention that, among other things, I keeps me some fresh tortillas stashed in my desk, at work... After all, one never knows, do one?
    So, guess who had multiple, freshly pulled, pork butt tacos fer breakfast, this Friday, last? + Some homemade nanner nut bread, an cherry, then chocolate glazed donuts...

Guess I kinda went offa my Diet Plan, lol!

(can happen, round th Holidaze!)

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    Dude, that would be super fun!!! You're in the Galveston general area??

• Santamarina
    commented on 's reply
    @smomenoob Can I keep my man card if I like Cole slaw? Mixing recipes from Meathead and Aaron Franklin I have recipes I like for Cole slaw and potato salad. Dialing in the beans...that’s taking some time. Trying to come up with something spicey enough for me, but still sweet enough for the wife (she can handle the heat, but to her "beans" are Boston baked style).

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here