Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Hill of Beans III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cool beans!
    ah, think I have to leave the room for a minute, be right back!

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      ed in the brussle sprout capitol of the world! fell off the trucks! where was I.....Oh, and doc said no beans......

I gave him four out of five......so.....yer beans lookin' killa bro!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      ha! found a way round the text limit din't I!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol! Yer so funny, Brother!

Thanks fer them kind words!

I'm on the edge of my seat! I don't know whether to dial into Hill Street Blues, Hamburger Hill or season 3 of Hill of Beans featuring Mr Bones...

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      no brainer! S3HB!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Th Hill with it, I'd haveta say.

Bones, do you drain your canned beans before adding them to the pot?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, Doc...I jus dump em in, lock, stock, an barrel...any reduction in liquid levels has to be achieved by cookin, when I make beans, an food, in general.

Glad to hear from ya, Amigo!

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mr. Bones

It's good to see that you're still ploppin' and bloppin' with the best of 'em.

I consider Beans my weak spot when it comes to barbecue sides. There is so much good stuff here (in this post and others) that I’m really gonna have to step up my bean game

Mr. Bones, thanks for the continual inspiration!

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      as far as I'm concerned, there are only two choices.....entry and beans.........the rest is just to please the vegetable police.....

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      @smomenoob Can I keep my man card if I like Cole slaw? Mixing recipes from Meathead and Aaron Franklin I have recipes I like for Cole slaw and potato salad. Dialing in the beans...that’s taking some time. Trying to come up with something spicey enough for me, but still sweet enough for the wife (she can handle the heat, but to her "beans" are Boston baked style).

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fer yer kind words, Amigo!
      Let's tailor ya up a personalized batch, together...
      I'm In.

Santamarina I'd love to hear yer take on slaw, an tater salad, both. Cain't see no reasons, whatsoever, why either one would affect yer man card status...

Totally with ya, re: Boston Baked Beans. I love em, but it is, decidedly, not th bean profile I purvey...

My whole game has been: these canned, baked beans that I have are always way over-sweet, (Boston) fer th flavour profile I'm seekin, to compliment my other foods...throw in some variety, an make life fun...

If I wanted to sit down, an eat a bag of brown sugar, why, then, that's what I'd do...

I like to think that beans can be so much more than that!

Addin in lots of savoury, an, this time, some "after heat" makes em much more enjoyable, by alla th feedback I've been receivin.

As ya can plainly see, this is/has been/always will be jus one big Science Experiment, with myriad volunteers contributin their taste buds...

It's My Happy Place, makin food that folks enjoy! Easily among th most enjoyable, an rewardin pursuits, in this Life...

Comment

Earlier, there was some questions, which I will try to address, hereabouts:

As to Th Heat, in final product, well, I gots this to say...

Yall seen what I broke up, put in there, huh? Sure ya did...

Early tastins, right up to wrappin, an goin to bed as they held @170°, was not revealin much, if any noticeable capsaicin notes, in my flavour profile...

There's a few things I've learned, in this life, believe it, or not...

One of them is that some ingredients are cumulative, in a dish...

Salt is a great example, hot peppers is another good one...

Cookin / minglin time slowly brings these flavour components more out front, than when ya added em, is th best way I reckon I can explain it...

It's also incredibly easy to add more either salt, or hot peppers to a final dish...NOT so dang easy to take it out, at all

So, I bided my time, waited fer th flavours to bloom...didn't open em, Friday AM, an even take one last taste...

Now, I haveta admit, I sit, an covertly watch others consume my cookin, without bein obvious, which'd skew th results...

What I was shootin fer, as posted above, was a lil "after heat", an, Lucky Ba$tard that I am, I nailed zackly that trait!!!

I watched several folks mow down on bite after bite, servin after servin... an then...

An watched th slow realization cross their faces, that there was some miniscule amount of ingredient at work that is roughly ~1000 times hotter than Habaneros

Some crimson faces, altered voices, watery eyes, an facial/cranial sheens were observed, on some of those who have ~0 tolerance to pepper heat...an some questions were asked, an fielded, as to ingredients I mighta (did) use, in this batch...

Creeper Heat... Mission accomplished. Perfectamundo!

If I had added more pepper heat, night before, they would have been inedible, fer most hominids, an other recognized life forms, leavin me to consume th whole pan

Even those who don't like/tolerate heat well were complimentary, but surprised at how it had snuck up on em, after many spoonfuls.

Sometimes, ya jus nail it, an a good lesson is to trust yer instincts, an experience...

Moderation in cookin is always easier than embarrassed apologies, in my experience.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 23, 2018, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here