Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do ya like beans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do ya like beans?

I received an email from Epicurious this morning on the "best" way to cook beans and thought some here might enjoy the article. I like the fact that they did the tests to come up with the best way:

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-ad...U0MDIzOTUzMwS2

I do wonder where they got the "Myth Busting" idea from though...

GREAT TO KNOW! I grew up eating pintos and cornbread but I have always liked Campbell's Pork n Beans with a little mustard and brown sugar added. I have hunted and one time paid for a recipe that was about a far from the real thing as could be. If anyoone has an "as close as you can get without opening a can' recipe, will you share?

Comment

Frijoles a la charra is my absolute favorite bean recipe .....

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        1/2 lb of bacon, my kind of beans. Thanks,

Interesting article. I like it when experiments like this are performed. It's what makes reading "Cook's Illustrated" such a joy. I've never had much success with dried beans. I'll look to try their preferred method next and see what happens.

Comment

I never soak my beans but I do put them in a bowl with water before cooking to remove any bad beans in the bunch. I also like to cook them in chicken or beef broth if I have it and throw in a quartered onion, a couple of crushed garlic cloves, and any herbs if I have them (thyme, parsley, and cilantro, bay leaf, epazote). Sometimes I throw in some pork as well (bacon, smoked hock). I always have a pot of hot water or broth available to add if needed. I usually cook in my crockpot just because it’s easy and I can leave it without worrying (I have a gas stove and never leave the house with it on). I usually salt near the end only because I feel I have better control of the taste that way.

If I make cowboy beans, beef broth is the liquid of choice. At then end I reduce down and add a bottle of beer, sautéed bell peppers, Serranos, and onions, and cooked bacon or leftover brisket or pork butt if I have any on hand. Ayocote Morado and Rio Zape beans are my favorite.

Comment

here is the Best bean recipe I have ever made/tasted ever! For real.
          Yo, folks and welcome to the cowboy cooking! And what’s the cowboy cooking today? Refried bean. One of my favorite dishes. - See the full recipe here.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup!

They don't mention a pressure cooker. Seems like a big oversight to me.

Comment

Ah, cool article, thanks. Grew up eating pinto beans on cornbread with hot chow chow (YUM), and also navy beans with ham on toast (ALSO YUM). Wife has never been a big fan of beans, but she's coming around... Agree with Attjack about the omission of pressure cooking them.

Comment

I've done pressure-cooked beans, and they were awesome enough to repeat making them a few times.

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              Pressure cooker ham and beans are a favorite of mine and a great way to use up that ham bone after breaking down a picnic ham.

Looks like we have our own opinions.

This is what gets me - summary of the first three frames: don't bother soaking. But, if you do, you'll get prettier more flavorful beans with better texture.

??

My suggestion is that at some point, you reduce some bacon back into the beans, and add a smidgen of Irish butter. And don't forget the Pecan Ale.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Beans 1.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1,005.9 KB ID:	602169
            Last edited by JGo37; December 4, 2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I'm a Rancho Gordo Bean Club member, and Steve Sando is pretty much the Grande Frijole of the bean world (at least many noted chefs think so). He says never to salt until the beans are cooked. He also says soaking is not necessary, but then his beans are only a few months old, not the 2+ year old beans sold in the grocery stores.

And I agree with Attjack --what about pressure cooking beans, Epicurious? I'm curious.

Kathryn

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I buy beans from Rancho Gordo ..... and I never soak them. They are always tender and flavorful. :-)

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                ecowper , I sometimes soak RG beans for 4 hours or so. I almost always pressure cook my beans. Most take 35 minutes with complete Natural Pressure Release which usually takes another 40 minutes or so. Beans are creamy and delicious that way. Broth to die for. I've taken to freezing any excess bean broth and using it in soups, just like other broths.
                Last edited by fzxdoc; December 8, 2018, 08:08 AM.

• ColonialDawg
                ColonialDawg commented
                Editing a comment
                Rancho Gordo is the way to go. Never been disappointed in any of their heirloom beans.

I love beans thanks for the link. I am looking for a good savory bean recipe to cook in a smoker in a cast iron pan.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Old Glory, are ya usin a ci do, skillet, (w/wo lid) or...??? Might make a difference in techniques, methodology, etc...

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                I've done both the Dutch oven and skillet, and don't cover. You get more smoke in the skillet - usually a bit more diameter and shallower depth of beans, therefore more smoke when stirred. Surface to volume is a closer to 1:X.

• Old Glory
                Old Glory commented
                Editing a comment
                I was thinking DO but open to suggestions. Will booking in a water cabinet smoker along with the meat.

Pinto beans with some bacon ends and pieces and some bacon grease thrown in. Diced onion and some hot sauce. Smash a few of the beans for texture and serve as a side or as refried for taco's. Good and simple!

Comment

Well, he's probably too modest to do it, so I'm posting the link here for Mr. Bones riff on his own Quickie Bourbon Beans:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ll-of-beans-ii

Kathryn

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  this one is not worthy of yer Kind Words, Milady...

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it. "beans, beans, good for your heart, the more you eat......"

Comment

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ... I'm glad I'm not the only one who's mind went there. Thankfully, you beat me to it

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, Hail Yeah, I was there, all along; My Inner Child runs th whole show...
                  PMF MBMorgan

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here