Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancho Gordo Beans and Bean Club

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everytime this thred pops up I end up getting more beans. Must resist!!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife walked in with this latest shipment and was like "why are you ordering more when you haven’t used all the rest?"

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      ofelles I pointed out that I could do a Santa Maria style dinner with Pinquitos and Tri-Tip :-)

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
    My wife walked in with this latest shipment and was like "why are you ordering more when you haven’t used all the rest?"
    That's exactly how it starts. Every time I get a Bean Club shipment, it includes a coupon for free shipping for one order in that quarter. So I order up a bunch more beans which join that shipment. And of course I never order just one of anything. No--that would be too logical. For me, it's two or none at all. And so it grows...

Kathryn

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm already scoping out which pantry shelf is going to be the Rancho Gordo shelf.

I have found that Rancho Gordo beans cooked in homemade chicken stock produce the most incredible beans and also a broth that is an elixir of the gods. I use it in all manor and also enjoy it on it's own.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc I'm really sad to be out of Marcella beans right now

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      D$mn it, now I need some Marcella beans! Stop! ecowper fzxdoc

And now I'm on the wait list!
      Last edited by ofelles; December 8, 2020, 12:00 PM.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      ofelles I am too ..... next time they are available I'm just going to buy ALL the beans

I made Pasta e Fagioli last night with Rancho Gordo's amazing Cranberry beans, which they happen to have for sale on the site as of this moment. So many of their beans are sold out.

Cranberry beans are my second fav of all the RG beans, right behind Marcellas. When cooked, the bean is velvety smooth with a thin skin and makes amazing broth.

Great for Pasta e Fagioli, but I also like them simply cooked, with a little onion, garlic, salt and pepper.

If they're still available when you get to the site, I recommend you give them a try.

Kathryn

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      @SheilaAnn................I don't care what they say, You're okay!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      There were cranberry beans and black eyed peas as part of this quarter's Bean Club delivery. Good thing, because I was going to order some. They were in stock a couple of weeks back, but are sold out now, SheilaAnn .

Kathryn

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      If my secret Santa sent me Marcella beans they would be on my love you forever list

My favorite so far were the Arroyo Morado and the Domingo Rojas. Today it's gonna' be King City Pinks in the Instant Pot. These beans are so flavorful I may never eat canned beans again.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I’ve completely stopped buying canned beans.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Domingo Rojas make great red beans and rice. I make it in the Instant Pot with this recipe:

Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice is an authentic New Orleans recipe that's made with andouille sausage and leftover ham bone or ham hock. This pressure cooker recipe is simple yet so flavorful!  Perfect for feeding a crowd, Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice tastes as though you've simmered it for hours on the stovetop, and is even better the next day. Instructions included for quick soak dried beans.

Kathryn

Wahoo! I just got my super top secret invite to the Rancho Gordo Beans Club today!

Comment

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! How long were you on the wait list?

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Red Man I went on the wait list in December, 20 I think.

And an interesting article about Rancho Gordo and Anson Mills legumes and grains

Comment

ecowper
      Anson Mills is great, I have bought from them for years. Plus many of their recipes are great.

Comment

Dang it. Not been a bean person most of my life, but I've made some really good pots from dried beans over the past year or so of eating at home more, and doing most of the cooking due to the wife's cancer followed by her broken femur. Now you guys got me wanting to buy beans on the Interwebs!

I've bookmarked Rancho Gordo, and at the very least want to try their pintos, the midnight black beans, and a couple of others.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc, I used some pork butt from the freezer. I made some in the instant pot a couple months ago, it was just commodity pork. I used some chorizo for the pork sausage from a local butcher, and the bacon was just store bought cured bacon. Everything else was per the recipe. 58limited, it was really good. I think next time I’ll use more beans though. It is lots of pork lol

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers I made the Rancho Gordo recipe today but I was mistaken in having the ingredients - no yellow eyes (they are on order). I used the Lucky 2021 black eyes, regular pork, homemade bacon and homemade beef/venison sausage. I soaked the peas in water and venison stock overnight. In addition to the bacon grease; I used tallow and the 1/8" layer of venison fat that solidified on top of the stock to saute the veggies. This recipe turned out great! And rich! Will freeze for many more meals.

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          I also added 12 oz. of Shiner Bock to the peas when I boiled them (I also boiled them in the venison stock that they soaked in).

STOP BUMPING THIS THREAD!!

Thanks to y'all I just ordered 9 bags of beans. I already have 33 bags but just ordered some varieties that I haven't tried yet that y'all recommended in the above posts.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers you should get some pinquitos :-)

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          2nd on the pop corn!!

• Starsky
          Starsky commented
          Editing a comment
          33 bags? You're going to burn out the exhaust fan in the bathroom!

Ya mean ya gotta wait years to order beans? Awe c’mon man.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          FireMan my two favorite heirloom beans, right now, are from Rancho Gordo …. Marcella (a cannellini) and Pinquito ….. both are available to buy this minute and you absolute should buy a couple pounds of each.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper , thanks, did plus some black beans.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Let us know how you like the Marcellas, Pinquitos, and Midnights, @FireMan.

Kathryn

Originally posted by 58limited View Post
        STOP BUMPING THIS THREAD!!

Thanks to y'all I just ordered 9 bags of beans. I already have 33 bags but just ordered some varieties that I haven't tried yet that y'all recommended in the above posts.
        I've got 39 bags of beans/garbanzos/hominy myself. And that's after I gave daughter and stepdaughter 8 bags each when they last visited in June (I got a RG Bean Club delivery after that). I'm trying to work my way through my collection. I backed my RG Bean Club membership down to 2 deliveries a year instead of 4. That should help.

My problem is that when I eat a new variety of their beans and like them, I order a couple of bags to have on hand. And I've hardly met a RG bean that I didn't like!

There was only one RG bag that I didn't like, and it really wasn't a bean. It was Desi Chana, a type of Indian black garbanzo that had pretty tough skins. I have it's cousin, RG's Ceci Neri, on the shelf waiting to be transformed into an Italian delicacy with one of RG's recipes. It's always fun to try something new, which is why I've been a RG Bean Club member for over 3 years.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; September 2, 2021, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Well what do you know??? After ecowper posted his invite I went and looked at my email, and behind the skull and crossbones there was my super secret invite!!! I am in!!! Dang, I need to start cooking the beans I already have lol.

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc, it signed me up for the quarterly; I was so excited I didn't look for any options. I'll change it after I have dozens of bags of beans lol. ecowper, I ordered some recently too, but I had them send to my mom. so I currently have a little shelf space...

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            No, I don't know what's in this quarter's shipments, ecowper . I'm not due for another shipment for a few more months, thankfully.

Biannual is May and November. I just checked my email from last Fall when I went to biannual. They only offered the option to current RG Bean Club members for a limited time last October. The email from then says that biannual membership is limited and not available as a first-time member option. I haven't heard anything about when they will open it up again.
            K

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I bet they will offer the biannual option after I get a few quarterly shipments. I sure hope so

An update: got an invite in my e-mail today to join the bean club, which I immediately did. All thanks to you j#%@s, uhm, I mean good people.

Is there an heirloom rice company with a rice club? I wonder how many ways can I make beans and rice LOL.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            klflowers you describe me as good people? Ahhhhhh, I'm touched

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            ecowper j#%@s

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment

Well, I went and done it. Got a bunch of beans and 5 pounds of popcorn on order with Rancho Gordo! SWMBO is a popcorn fanatic, and we've worn out a few of those stove top Whirly Pop popcorn makers over the last 30 years.

I hope the beans (and popcorn) are all that and more! . Got pintos, piquintos, midnight black, Marcella and Crimson popcorn all coming.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Look at that, me and klflowers are problem solvers!

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris I’ll repeat myself, the popcorn is an acquired taste. But it is good! Very small "pops".

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            @ShielaAnn hopefully I won't live to regret the popcorn!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here