Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancho Gordo Beans and Bean Club

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here. Waiting for that first shipment now...

Comment

I hate you guys for bumping this thread... never knew there were black garbanzos so I had to get those and other stuff to get over 50 bucks for free shipping

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a slippery slope.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah you are in trouble. At Christmas I tried to explain the bean club to my extended family. They recommended that I get professional help...

I don't know how many of you have read this recent post from Serious Eats on dry brining beans:
      https://www.seriouseats.com/top-secr...recipe-5223892

My daughter sent me the link yesterday.

Be sure to read through for the important tip in the last line.

Kathryn

Comment

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        They missed the important step of dry brining the water used to cook the beans.

• au4stree
        au4stree commented
        Editing a comment
        That last line though….🤦🏼‍♂️

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh...That was funny...lol

Has anybody tried this? Have they tried it? I mean it sounds logical. Especially capturing water from the air. Yeah baby, I can dig it.

Comment

I ordered a bunch of bean gift boxes at Christmas but none for myself. I missed out on the calendar which I really enjoy.
        Last edited by Bkhuna; April 3, 2022, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the club. The spousal unit and I have LOADs of such legumes. Enjoy.

Comment

Just stopping by to say that I ran out of RG beans and used a couple of varieties of dried beans until my shipment from RG showed up. I had doubts about how much better RG is until I cooked a couple bags of the regular stuff.

In summary the RG beans are never broken in half, have no bad beans (they float when soaking), and no foreign debris. Worth it all the way

Comment

I totally agree, jhapka . The quality and flavor of RG beans set them far above what is available to me in grocery stores. Plus you don't have to belong to the RG Bean Club to enjoy their beans, (although the free shipping* enjoyed by members is a nice bennie). If I didn't belong to the RG Bean Club Lite, I would probably place a larger order a couple of times a year, buying enough quantity to qualify for free shipping.

Kathryn

*free shipping on one order per calendar quarter for RG Bean Club members

Comment

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                Or would the free shipping be a nice "beanie"?

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Bkhuna ,

K.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Or if you order $50 or more which I just did (why is it whenever my wallets comes out of my pocket a $50 bill seems to float away? )

fzxdoc Kathryn, I just discovered a bag of RG's marcella beans in my pantry from my original order almost 2 years ago. I know you love these - would you share a recipe of how you make these? Most of the ones on RG's website are variations on minestrone. Thxs!

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I also use Marcellas for ham and beans :-)

For example, you could do this, and use the Marcella's instead of Alubia Blanco's.

This method for Bean Soup includes using smoked meats to give it a bit of a Smokey BBQ flair. The smoke is really mild, but definitely present. The approach for this is a combo of Katie Hill’s bean stock for cassoulet and the US Senate’s Navy Bean Soup. To that I add hamhocks I smoked and some of my homemade bacon. This is

• GolfGeezer
                GolfGeezer commented
                Editing a comment
                ecowper Thanks! Added to paprika for decision day on what to make. Looks very delicious.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                GolfGeezer , I also use the Marcellas for ham and bean soup. Plus I like them cooked in the Instant Pot (65 min High; NPR) with a few shakes of both granulated garlic and onion powder. Then when cooled and chilled, I like them as a bean salad topped with herbs and a vinaigrette or with a little pesto or even with a little Fly by Jing chili crisp.

Kathryn

My recent order, can't wait, been beanless too long !!!
              Your order has shipped!
              We've got some good news! All of the items from your order #817631 have now been shipped.
              Shipment Details:
              Royal Corona Bean - 1 Lb Bag

Quantity: 1
              Marcella Bean - 1 Lb Bag

French-Style Green Lentil - 1 Lb Bag

Tuscan Red Bean - 1-Lb Bag

Rio Zape Bean - 1 Lb Bag

Ayocote Negro Bean - 1 Lb Bag

Quantity: 2

Comment

Alright you enablers, I’ve given in. I resisted and resisted your Rancho Gordo siren song. But I could only hold out for so long. I just ordered $50.10 worth of beans and polenta from Rancho Gordo.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  YES ….. another one!

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome to the dark side...

OK. I have been sucked in. Ordered $54.50 worth. Very frustrating not to be able to get into bean club, but am in olive oil club. Olive oil club much more exclusive. Cant order their products unless in club.

Local Winco grocery carries 900+ products in their bulk goods department, per its manager. Comparisons will be in order.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And another one!!!!

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The more the merrier. You won't regret your purchase.

Ok Ok....I have been assimilated ...My recent order...2 Pinquito's, 1 Marcella, 1 Ayocote Negro, and 1 Domingo Rojo.
                fzxdoc, I am now officially a Rancho Gordo Bean Head..lol...

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pinquitos and Marcella’s are amazing

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You'll be hooked. In 6 months you'll have 30 bags of beans. JK. Maybe.

K.

I appears that I am the newest member of the bean club. I’m looking forward to seeing what’s in my first order. We usually don’t eat that many beans, but maybe this will incentivize me to cook more.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It turns out that good beans are WAY more flavorful than the typical stuff from the grocery store. :-)

I was the occasional bean eater as well, RamaJama when I first became a member of the RG Bean Club several years back. I always liked them, just didn't often cook from dried beans. Canned beans were so much easier because I'd always have forgotten to soak the dried ones.

Once I got the RG Beans and saw how much better they tasted compared to canned and storebought beans (which are often upwards of 2 years old), I was a convert. Now I have an embarrassingly large collection of beans that I whittle away at.

Following RG advice, I hardly ever soak their beans. There's not much need, because they're fresher than the beans we're used to sourcing. If I do soak them, it's only for a couple of hours. So even if the time gets away from me, I can still plan on having them for dinner with the help of my trusty Instant Pot.

The other thing I like about Rancho Gordo beans is the operation itself. It's owner, Steve Sando, is genuinely interested in helping his small or family business suppliers. The support he gives them and their communities in Mexico and other places is truly heartwarming. It's a model on how successful businesses could be run, with a helping hand from the ground up, literally.

Kathryn

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ooh, ooh, a new title! In my book, if I have yer permission yer highness, Barrel Queen.

• SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fzxdoc regrading Steve, he is a gem. We are working together again at the end of September. I’ll post that journey.

• RamaJama
                  RamaJama commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ve bought their beans as a gift to mother the last couple years. She has been gracious enough to cook them for my family when we visit and I’ve enjoyed them. That’s how I decided to get on the list for the bean club.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here