Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancho Gordo Beans and Bean Club

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosca
    replied
    Wow THAT was fast! Placed the order late Wednesday, beans arrived early Saturday!

Tarbais, pinquitos, midnight blacks, yellow eye beans, Christmas limas, negro de varas, black eyed peas, and pintos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231230_120940.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	1530132

Leave a comment:

• SheilaAnn
    commented on 's reply
    I asked my boss and she hasn’t heard of that happening.

Regarding calling: wow! Did you get a name by chance? Definitely send them a picture.

I’m glad the Marcella’s worked out.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Troutman Steve, the Marcella’s are amazing! That said, as DaveD says, that lady clearly didn’t know beans

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Ended up using the Marcella white’s instead, delicious. I’ll do a full write up on the recipe to follow. Didn’t mean to disrespect RG, their beans are usually delish!!

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    I had a subscription and cancelled it. 2 reasons. First, I was getting more beans than I could use in 3 months. Second, I was getting things I didn’t necessarily want. I don’t need 7 different types of heritage black beans. I found with RG that I love Marcellas, Flageolets, Pinquitos, and Lentils. The rest were going unused. Now I order what I need, make sure my order hits $50 for free shipping, and I’m happy.

• DaveD
    commented on 's reply
    Real sorry you're having a poor experience. But somebody has to say it: that young lady didn't know beans.

• DaveD
    commented on 's reply
    yakima I drew exactly the same conclusion. Couple orders a year with 6-8 bags of beans each is probably good for us. Just us two after all...

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    I have never seen that problem with RG beans. Normally only see that with very old, very dry supermarket stuff. I agree that your customer support experience is very disappointing.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Update: Called RG and talked to a nice but semi-clueless young lady who didn’t seem to understand what I was trying to describe as the problem. I may send them the above picture. Anyway going with another white bean for my dish. Very disappointed with RG given all the hype as well as the cost.

• yakima
    commented on 's reply
    The ranchogordo.com site provides details. I am on a waitlist for the subscription. About 14 months so far.

But, don't really need a subscription. Order $50 of product, get free shipping. Do that couple times a year, probably have more beans than you use. I have not worked out the comparative economics. The quarterly subscription is likely cheaper on a per pound basis, but results in a lot of beans.

• Troutman
    replied
    SheilaAnn and fzxdoc I'm open to suggestions. Was going to do a Royal Corona bean recipe last night so about noon time I decided to soak my beans as usual in enough cool water water to cover them and let them sit on the counter. After about 4 hours I went to check to see if they were soft enough (I don't like a long soak) and found the casings shriveled with some split open. The inner bean also began to split apart. I don't see any way these with stand up to cooking much less boiling. Any ideas or suggestions? I have some other white beans I'm going to substitute for today's cook. I think I may call Rancho Gordo to get their take on this. I purchased these about 6 or so months ago?

Click image for larger version

Name:	split beans.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1529463

Leave a comment:

• Porkies
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you for the info!

• SheilaAnn
    commented on 's reply
    Troutman …whoa! That’s never happened to me. And I make these beans often. fzxdoc thoughts?

Hot water? Soaked too long? I think we use these beans fast enough that an expiry date is not an option. I’ll ask D in the morning.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    SheilaAnn Not sure what’s happened to my Royal Coronas but during the soak their outer shell split open and the inner bean broke in half. First time I’ve cooked these, any suggestions as to why this is occurring?

• Alan Brice
    commented on 's reply
    Appx $50-60 bucks gets you 5-7 pounds of beans per quarter, and or a packet of wild rice or chipolte chilis. Dif things all the time and They send interesting reading material and you get free shipping on an extra order each quarter. Beans beans n more beans! "Heritage" not yer
    average bean. Once I got a cpl sticks of soft cinn.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here