Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancho Gordo Beans and Bean Club

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Alan Brice fortunately the beans in the gift box are ones I like and it’s over $50, so free shipping!

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    I didn’t know there was a lite option. I need to check into that.

• Alan Brice
    commented on 's reply
    ecowper I went to RGwebsite and used my complementary quarterly free ship to get the book shipped for a total of $23.66. Just another perk for being an RG beaner.

• Alan Brice
    commented on 's reply
    Everything on that plate is/was excellent!

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Here I was thinking I don't need the beans, just the book. So, I went to Amazon and the darn book is $50. So, now I'm buying the whole package on RG just to get the book LOL

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    New Years dinner. I had Carolina Gold rice instead of the sweet potatoes. Love all manner of cowpeas and hamhocks.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Love it!

• SheilaAnn
    commented on 's reply
    This book is great wish there were pictures.

• PGH_RAM
    replied
    I got a great birthday present from my wife. Although it dawns on me that the gift may have been a little self-serving. ;-p

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231203_162615557.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1532729

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    replied
    No in process pics but the black eye peas on this plate are RG. They are excellent. Click image for larger version

Name:	20240101_155532.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1532714

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Visiting family over the holidays, yakima .

K.

• yakima
    commented on 's reply
    K, welcome back. You have been MIA.
    P.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks fzxdoc for the reply. I know they have two camps on soaking, I generally split the difference and only soak for about 4 hours. I do think the problem I had with the Royal Coronas ended up being minimal as far as them splitting as reported. All had wrinkled skin but when we eventually did cook them the skin tightened up and turned out delicious. Real creamy, although I still think I prefer the smaller Marcellas or Cassoulets.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Troutman View Post
    Got some Royal Coronas soaking in a pot right now. Will post the results in a day or so. Love me some beans !!!
    I never soak any RG beans. Steve Sando says it's not only not necessary, saying that the beans can sprout with soaking.

I had this happen once with another RG bean (can't remember which one)--I didn't soak; it happened when rinsing. The skins became wrinkly. I didn't like the looks of them so I tossed them. They were about 6 months past their 2 year Best By date.

And P.S. I've used Royal Coronas a lot. Never had a problem with them.

P.S. #2. I backed my RG subscription down to the Lite option, which is twice a year. I enjoy getting it, and enjoy supporting the site. Is it necessary? No, but I like receiving the extra goodies and the occasional unusual beans that are not available on the website. Plus the free shipping is enough for me to (hopefully lightly) add to my collection a couple of times a year. Steve Sando mentioned once that he he started the RG Bean Club on a whim, to poke fun at the wine clubs that are so pervasive, but by golly it caught on. A bean club. Who knew.

K.​
    Last edited by fzxdoc; January 3, 2024, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    They're healthy, too.

K.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here