Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove the gas from beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know bout you all but I'm proud of my batches of beans. The gas just reminds ya of how good they were. For some reason my fiancé doesn't agree with me. And the dog won't sleep below me. He just walks away then looks back and has those eyes like really John? Again?
    Might have to try this and surprise em one day

Comment

• Alden-Retired
      Alden-Retired commented
      Editing a comment
      Let me know if it works for you as well as it does for us.
      Don

This discussion reminds me of scene from Blazing Saddles I think.

Comment

I was always taught that one way to reduce the after-effects from beans was to discard the soaking water before cooking, also, adding cider vinegar during soaking, or even a splash in your bowl at the table.
    Rural myth? Perhaps, but Gma an' Ma were seldom ever wrong....
    Me? Let 'em rip, sez I!!!

Comment

• Alden-Retired
      Alden-Retired commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, you are close,, the sugars that the bacteria make methane with are extracted with the alkali produced by using the baking soda. Just be sure to rinse the beans well the next morning. I think you will be surprised.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, me? I utilize th' soakin' water to cook in. So did Ma', an' Gma....
      But was taught an alternate method, in case of a need fer reduced flatulence beans.

One of our founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin, wrote a little essay titled A Letter to the Royal Academy or Fart Proudly.

Comment

Good French onion soup has the same effect on me. Beans and French onion soup a two foods that keep giving and making eating them all the more memorable.

Comment

• Alden-Retired
        Alden-Retired commented
        Editing a comment
        Try the method, I think you will like the results.

I have heard about epazote helping, and I have also heard that the more beans you eat, the less of an issue this becomes (something about how your body adapts). I cook a couple pounds of different legumes at home per week for the family... maybe the specific muscles have strengthened... or our noses have adapted?

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I seem to remember a limerick extolling that point of view!

• Alden-Retired
        Alden-Retired commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope, it's all about the type of sugars near the surface that your enzymes cannot break down into simple sugars so you can digest them. But.... the bacteria can and do producing the methane gas. Easy to remove them but it takes a few hours to extract them so they can be washed out with the rinse.

• Alden-Retired
        Alden-Retired commented
        Editing a comment
        Try the method, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
        Don

Epazote will not reduce the methane because it does not contain an enzyme to denature or reduce the main cause,, mainly the two sugars Stachyrose and Raffnose. The sugars need to be extracted from just under the skin surface so the intestinal bacteria cannot have access to them to digest and produce the methane. The baking soda is used simply to soften the skin pores by lowering the pH (make the water alkaline) so the sugars can be extracted. The soda and sugars are washed out during the rinse. Try it, you'll like it.

Comment

Stachyrose & Raffnose sound like good names for a couple of pachyderms. The rest of your dissertation sounds like one might need a HAZMAT team to take care of things.

Wonderin, are we still fartin around with this subject?

Comment

• NortheastAl
          NortheastAl commented
          Editing a comment
          Nah, I think this thread ran outta gas.

Allow me to play the role of contrarian. The truth is like most Dudes love a good fart! Farts are funny in any language. They are an ice breaker. They bring people together....and yet keep them at a safe distance. People should fart more and argue less.....
        Last edited by PJBowmaster; April 27, 2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          Quick pull my finger 👈

At our median average age, we have much more to worry ' bout than farts from beans...
        'Cerebral Flatulence' is a much more pressin' concern!!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here