Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John's Borracho Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John's Borracho Beans

Click image for larger version  Name:	Beans 3f.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.9 KB ID:	25180

Variation of beans to use in place of baked beans. Goes great with all types of BBQ.

1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 cup diced sweet onion
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    2 cans 27 oz pinto beans (Bush)
    2 14 1/2-ounce cans Hunts tomatoes diced petite (no extra spices)
    4 teaspoons cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon cumin
    28 turns black pepper or 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1 14 1/2-ounce can beef broth Swanson
    1 finely diced large Serrano pepper, seeds removed
    1 finely diced large Jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
    14 strips crumbled bacon precooked (I use precooked from Costco. Heat in microwave until crisp but not burnt)
    4 Kielbasa polish sausages or beef sausages

Heat canola oil in frying pan, add diced onions and saute. Last minute add minced garlic. Put onion/garlic mixture in dutch oven, soup pot or crock pot. Add beans, tomatoes, cilantro, oregano, cumin, black pepper, beef broth, Serrano and Jalapeno's to pot. Do not drain the beans and tomatoes. Bring to low boil. While pot is heating up, cut sausages into small pieces (sliced lengthwise into quarters and then across into small 1/4 pieces) and add to pot. Cook precooked bacon in microwave. When cool, crumble and add to pot. If using raw bacon, cook, drain well, crumble and add to pot.
    When mixture is at a low boil, simmer lightly 60 min. If it is too soupy for you, drain off some of the final liquid. If cooking in crock pot, set on auto and cook about 4-5 hours until well heated.
    When done, you can make it can make it hotter by adding another Jalapeno or a couple of tablespoons of Jalapeno juice from a jar of deli Jalapenos - but it is not intended to be real hot, just a mild tang on your tongue. Let the heat builds with every bite.
    Serve in a soup bowl or small cup with fajitas, ribs, and/or sausage instead of baked beans.

Total prep time about 30 minutes. Tastes great the next day or two. Freezes well.

Note: Borracho bean recipes normally call for beer. I found it really doesn't add anything to the flavor and use beef broth instead. If using beer, substitute for the beef broth.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jlazar; May 21, 2019, 02:56 PM.

This looks good! I am tired of the sweet north/eastern baked beans... something somewhat spicy always sounds good to me.

Here is Meathead's version of Texas Butter Beans... they are daggum good too!

Texas butter bean are served at almost every barbecue joint in Texas. Here's the recipe for this classic Texas comfort food. You can use just about any bean, but butter beans, pinto beans, or black-eyed peas are the most common in Texas.

Comment

I am trying these as my next batch of drippin beans

Comment

They will taste hotter after sitting a while. The key is to start with just a touch of heat. That seems to satisfy most folks. You can always add more heat but not take it away. You can also add some juice to just your bowl if you like it hotter.

Comment

Thanks John, it is a fine looking recipe and I have saved it to make in the near future.

Comment

Really good looking recipie jlazar

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
              Elton's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Ouch... Didn't see that coming holehogg LOL

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha, toss in a couple of "those little bastards" and you got a pot of righteous beans!

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you mean Beings CaptainMike

Worth a try. Don't like Boston or Baked Beans. will copy recipe and try. Thanks

Comment

Note: Most drunken bean recipes are prepared with beer. I found it really doesn't add anything to the flavor and left it out. If using beer, substitute for the beef broth.
              If you leave out the adult liquid, it might be more correct to call them "Frijoles de Olla."

They look darn good, however, no matter what you call 'em.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Es verdad, Amigo...

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here