Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peg's Magic Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peg's Magic Beans

This recipe was in the most recent Tailgager Magazine. In the interest of research for the group, I decided to make it.

http://www.scout.com/home/tailgating...m_medium=email

It's pretty bone simple. I couldn't find navy beans so I used great northern instead of black-eyed peas, which I don't see fitting into this flavor profile. I don't see the importance of doing the prep the night before, but that's how I did it.

This recipe gets my seal of approval. This is not a real heavy, thick bean casserole. It's a little heavy on the vinegar, either use a little less or add more sugar. I'd make it again, mostly because the prep is so easy: make the bacon in the oven while you sauté the onions and ground beef, it trims 15 minutes off the prep. And there's no reason not to just dump everything into the slow cooker.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0616.JPG Views:	1 Size:	861.3 KB ID:	234919

Tasty looking. I'm sure the smell would enhance!

Comment

A Slow Cooker is the perfect spot to drop those. Thanks for the Write up!! They look hearty.

Comment

That brings up marital argument 106 - the use of good BBQ in chili or beans. I love to put the leftovers in a good chili or bean recipe. My wife thinks that's a waste of good Q. She thinks BBQ is BBQ and chili is chili. I checked out the recipe and am already planning to replicate it substituting leftover brisket or tri-tip just to keep the argument going! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Either would work splendidly! Just remember the recipe calls for a pound of beef. You could get away with 3/4 lb cooked.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm on your side - beans are yin - they need things like great Q to realize their potential! ;-)

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Best chili I ever made was made using smoked chuck rather than ground beef.

Always looking for a good bean dish option... thanks for the write up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here