Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll start this off with my baked beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll start this off with my baked beans

I did a lot of experimenting and comparing recipes, and I ultimately came up with this recipe for baked beans. They're pretty spicy (I live in south Louisiana!), but I like the balance of sweet and spice. If you're not so inclined, feel free to cut back on jalapeno, pith and/or cayenne. I make it every time I do brisket. I also have a canned beans version; if there's any interest, let me know and I'll post it. In any event, here you go:

* 1 pound dried Great Northern or navy beans (navies are better because they're sturdier)
    * 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
    * 1 onion, chopped
    * 2 jalapenos, including pith but discarding seeds of one, chopped
    * 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon granulated garlic)
    * 1/4 cup tomato paste
    * 1/4 cup sugar
    * 1/3 cup molasses
    * 1 teaspoon dry mustard
    * 1 bay leaf
    * 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    * 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    * 4 cups chicken stock (can substitute water)
    * 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * 1 teaspoon black pepper
    * 2 teaspoons kosher salt

Soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Saute’ bacon, onion and jalapenos together in a Dutch oven over medium heat until vegetables are soft, about five minutes, then add garlic and saute’ until fragrant. Remove from heat.

Stir in tomato paste, sugar, molasses, dry mustard, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke and mix well. Add beans and four cups of chicken stock. Bring to a boil, add cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper, cover and place in oven.

Cook for approximately 6 hours. Check and stir occasionally, adding water as necessary.

How many servings does this make?

Comment

• dprice
      dprice commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never calculated it, but we always have leftovers! Camellia says their dried one pound of navy beans is six servings of one cup each. That's a big serving for a side, so I'd say 9-12 for a pound of dried beans, given all the additions.

I would also be interested in your canned beans version.

Comment

• dprice
      dprice commented
      Editing a comment
      Here you go. It makes about half as much, as two 15-oz. cans of white beans are roughly equivalent to a half-pound of dried beans. That, and the cooking time, are the main differences. Same rules about heat.

2 15 oz. cans white beans, rinsed
      4 slices bacon, chopped
      1 small (or ½ medium) onion, chopped
      1 jalapeno, chopped, seeds and pith removed
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      2 tablespoons tomato paste
      2 tablespoons sugar
      3 tablespoons molasses
      ½ teaspoon dry mustard
      1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
      1 teaspoon liquid smoke
      1 bay leaf
      1/8 teaspoon cayenne
      ½ teaspoon black pepper
      1 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute’ bacon, onion and jalapenos together in a Dutch oven or chicken fryer (this works in 3 quart saucepan) over medium heat until vegetables are soft, about five minutes. Add garlic and saute’ until fragrant. Remove from heat. Stir in tomato paste, sugar, molasses, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke, and mix well. Add beans and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, add bay leaf, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper, cover and place in oven.

Cook for approximately 1 hour. Check and stir occasionally, adding water as necessary.

Originally posted by dmkbbq View Post
    I would also be interested in your canned beans version.
    X2,

I also have a canned bean special versioin and would like to see your. I don't want to hijack your thread by posting mine here unless it is ok with Donald.

Comment

• dprice
      dprice commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem at all -- I'm always interested in different approaches.

Now when I say canned I really mean canned. I have gotten rave reviews on this really simple dish at a lot of favorite dish suppers and luncheons. I always tell folks that it was my gGrandmothers secret recipe and that she would come back from the dead and haunt me forever if I gave it out. I wasw in a hurry, late, forgot I was to take something to a luncheonand had about 2-3 hours to get something together.

So:

the ratio is two 15 oz cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans and one 15 oz can of Cattleman's Chicken Chili. Put it in the bean crock put it in the oven at 325*F and in a couple of houirs it will be hot and tasty. Now they can be jazzed even more woth some diced onions, but a lot of folks don't do onions because of the flatulence it causes or some pickle relish, mustard or whatever your fancy it.

If I have the time I would do Donald's recipe because I know exactly what is in it.

Comment

Doesn't look very imposing does it? Click image for larger version

Name:	i-k2FfbDK-M.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	4347

Comment

I use to have this sedan that ran pretty good also
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1519-M.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	4350

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here