Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to assemble BBQ pork & beans ahead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it safe to assemble BBQ pork & beans ahead?

Hey everyone,

I'm preparing for a big BBQ we're hosting for my local hood. My wife is injured and incapacitated so I'm a one man show. The event is Sunday afternoon and I want to prepare as much ahead of time as possible.

I'm making Malum Reed's BBQ Baked Beans recipe which includes canned baked beans, added condiments, spices, onions, peppers and garlic, and left over smoked pulled pork.

Can I assemble this today (i.e. Friday), and safely store covered in fridge until I put it in the oven late Sunday morning?

Are there any food safety risks?

Thanks in advance.
    JD

I don't see any problems. Will probably taste better after the flavors get a chance to meld

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• mrichie1229
      mrichie1229 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1. I have done this a bunch of times. No issues. I've even frozen batches for reheating later, which turned out just fine.

I concur it should be fine, but I think you need to take into account 2 days in the fridge before cooking as part of the "leftovers" clock on this meal. I.e. 3-4 days to consume most refrigerated leftovers such as the beans, the pulled pork, and such.

Comment

• jjdbike
      jjdbike commented
      Editing a comment
      I would not have thought of that

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
    I concur it should be fine, but I think you need to take into account 2 days in the fridge before cooking as part of the "leftovers" clock on this meal. I.e. 3-4 days to consume most refrigerated leftovers such as the beans, the pulled pork, and such.
    Thanks jf,
    Good reminder.
    I appreciate that.
    JD

Comment

Originally posted by Starsky View Post
      I don't see any problems. Will probably taste better after the flavors get a chance to meld
      I agree, our cowboy beans, kind of like these, are even better a day or two later. Though they are often a little thicker, so making them just a tiny bit 'soupier' than you want them to end up 2 days later may not be a bad plan.

Sounds like you've got it figured out, though!

Comment

Originally posted by DogFaced PonySoldier View Post

I agree, our cowboy beans, kind of like these, are even better a day or two later. Though they are often a little thicker, so making them just a tiny bit 'soupier' than you want them to end up 2 days later may not be a bad plan.

Sounds like you've got it figured out, though!
        Yes I’ve noticed that and plan on making them w/ more liquid.
        I appreciate that.
        Best regards,
        JD

Comment

I hope your wife is okay. Good luck on the cook jjdbike!

Comment

Originally posted by mrichie1229 View Post
            I hope your wife is okay. Good luck on the cook jjdbike!
            Thanks brother,
            JD

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here