Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on beans

I have a borracho bean recipe that gets raves. I usually cook it on the stovetop. I have seen where folks place their beans under a brisket, shoulder or ribs in the smoker. My question is: How do you control how much flavor you are introducing? How much liquid or rendered fat? Do you leave your beans under the whole time or just for a while? Is it better to catch the drippings in a pan and then introduce then into the beans. If so, how much for a pot of beans? Which is the best meat for this? Thanks for any and all inputs.

I did a batch of beans in my pellet grill with racks of bacon over top. when the bacon was near crisp i cut and mixed it up in the beans. I finished the beans with them open and they were WAY over smoked. I think maybe an hour or two uncovered would be enough.

Comment

When I make the whiskey baked beans, I put them under the meat for 1 1/2-2 hours. Adds the rendered fat and just a nice amount of smokiness for me.

Comment

I make smoked beans by putting them under pork shoulders when cooking them. They'll spend about 6 - 8 hours @ 225 under the butt. I use a cookshack electric that only requires about 4 oz of wood, so the only smoke after the first couple hours is from any drippings that don't fall in the beans, but instead fall on the smoke box. If you use a smoker that generates smoke through the entire smoke you may want to reduce the time to reduce smoke flavor as mentioned above. Give it a try and taste them as you go.

Comment

Be careful with bacon and smoke. The one time I put a few slices of bacon in my cooker they picked up WAY too much smoke - so much surface area.

Comment

I hadn't really thought about getting too much smoke. I was concerned about getting too much rendered fat. If you leave it in the whole time, do you just skim the fat off the top?

Comment

I don't skim any off. Fat is flavor! I don't eat these every day, so it's like splurging on ice-cream once in awhile.

Comment

• jlazar
                jlazar commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the replies. I will try the beans under my next brisket.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here