Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Eyed Peas. A New Years Tradition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Eyed Peas. A New Years Tradition.

We will be traveling to my Sons house this evening for our traditional Good Luck Dinner of Black
    Eyed Peas on New Years day.
    Last year he did them with left over honey baked spiral sliced ham where the ham far outweighed the beans. Garlic, and onion ramped the flavor a touch.
    Always accompanied by onion slices and Cracker Barrel Corn Bread knock off.
    Does anyone else do the Black Eyed Peas tradition?

I do a Hoppin John Jambalaya. It is a marriage of South Carolina and Louisiana traditions.​​​​​​​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	19D211E5-E1A4-4BED-9CBD-EB6935BB7657.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	1153106

Last edited by LA Pork Butt; January 2, 2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

My wife does peas and collards with skillet cornbread every year. Smoked turkey was my contribution. It's a great tradition.
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes. Black-eyed peas, collards, and hog jowls.

Comment

Have a pot of Hoppin John on the stove now. Just waiting on the cornbread!

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn’t know Santa was a member?

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on Marsh Hen, formerly Geechie Boy. We keep a small bar refrigerator just for storing their products which we eat almost daily.

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Donw - Best grits money can buy.

Ham, black eyed peas, collards, and cornbread every year. Ham is in the pit collards and peas on the range right now. Hocks in both. About to heat oven for cornbread.

Comment

I kinda like SaltnPeppa!

Comment

We do them every year. Black eyed peas with ham and onion. Greens, fried potatoes, and cornbread.

Comment

Hoppin John on the stove now as well...we use cowpeas, rice, and recipe from Carolina Plantation Rice. My wife's family is from South Carolina and they all make it every year but somehow don't have a recipe they agree on and like.

I haven't done with cornbread yet but may have just been inspired by this thread to whip that up now!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Cornbread cain't hurt, none...

• das85
                das85 commented
                Editing a comment
                Made the cornbread. Nobody complained.

• Yohawk
                Yohawk commented
                Editing a comment
                Not a complete meal unless it has cornbread. Tried Jalapno peppers in ours this year, meh, going back to the old "tried and true!"

Evidently my father was from the south...when we were little, Black eyed Peas and Ham was the tradition....on New Years Day
              I do not remember any of this; however, I love my Black Eyed Peas ( Older sisters refuse to even try 'em)
              Soo I guess I am my Daddy's son even though I have no real memories of the man....just glad that I appreciate Black Eyed Peas and greens as compliments to a fine BBQ Feast

Happy New Year to alll

Comment

SheilaAnn expecting a photo!

Comment

We do the black eyed peas thing here too - for luck - and turnip or collard greens for wealth.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Couple of hocks salt, pepper diced yellow onion, minced garlic, crushed red pepper, splash of apple cider vinegar; let all that simmer covered for as long as possible. I put mine on after breakfast. The pull the hocks and let cool. Once cool, spread the meat as nd discard the bones/gristle that wouldn't render. Rinse your greens and break off any stems that don't have any leaf on either side. Roll them up like a cigar znd cut them into 3/4 inch strips. Add them to the pot and simmer until tender

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't cook them down to mush, they should still have some crunch. You may have to adjust salt pepper and vinegar before serving g.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  texastweeter sounds like a good recipe! I sacrified a pound of home-made bacon to the pot of greens, and she produced some good results - better than what I've had some years, and the collards were not cooked to mush like the turnip greens sometimes seem to do.

I grew up eating black eyed peas throughout the year. In the last few years the New Year tradition has me using Sea Island Red Peas from Edisto Island, South Carolina. Much better taste and texture. Great for a pot of Hoppin' John.

Comment

Help out this guy who spent almost his whole life up north. What is Hoppin’ John?

Comment

I like fresh peas vs dried or canned. Throw a hock or two in the bottom of a pot and add the peas. Add a couple Bay leaves, salt pepper, and some minced garlic. Cover with water and simmer until tender. 1/2 way through, I pull the hocks, spread the meat and add it back. The fresh peas will foam at first, but keep simmering and the foam will dissipate. Sometimes I add minced mushrooms for some natural msg.

Comment

• Yohawk
                    Yohawk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great idea, never thought to use a ham hock. That’s on the 2022 to cook list.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here