Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep me on the right path... pinto idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep me on the right path... pinto idea

I finally bit the bullet and ordered some Rancho Gordo pintos (and a bunch of other stuff)

The guys at work have done an amazing job at cleaning up their work and office areas (the best it's been in the 11 years I've been here, and sadly I'm not even in charge of them right now). I wanted to reward them for their efforts. Only rule is no pork so 100% of them can enjoy the meal.

Anyway, plan was to soak beans overnight while smoking a brisket flat or maybe point if I can find one for extra fat. Then cook the beans to done on my MAK the next day in a hotel pan to provide surface area for smoke? Add chopped brisket to the beans at some point, maybe 2-3 hours in?

I THINKI can do all the above without help (but if there's a flaw in my plan I'm open to suggestions), what I'm concerned about is if I get the beans perfect... how do I reheat them without overcooking?

I was wanting to keep them in the hotel pan, and just reheat in the oven. Though I could use my large instantpot? I don't have a crockpot large enough. I don't think. I was planning on 1 lb of dried pintos to serve up to 10 people? I have an extra 1 lb bag if that's not sufficient.

I will be cooking a cornbread or two in CI the night before too to serve with the beans as a full lunch

1lb of beans for ten people might be cutting it a little close. I’d do an extra half or full bag to be sure. You can always freeze any leftovers if needed. Good idea on the cornbread! I wouldn’t worry about overcooking them by reheating. I don’t think they would start cooking anymore unless they were left on the heat for a long time past serving temps.
    Last edited by Panhead John; September 15, 2021, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      even dried and with brisket and whatever else I chuck in? I don't mind cooking the full 2 lbs just don't want to waste amazing beans. (I'm sure we could freeze, I just don't trust the freezer at work )

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Even with brisket thrown in, myself, I’d probably eat 2 decent size bowls with the cornbread. I really think 1lb wouldn’t be enough for ten people. Better to have a little leftover than not enough. Even if you don’t freeze the leftovers, give some to them to take home you cheap bastard. 😂 Also, what’s the address?
      Last edited by Panhead John; September 15, 2021, 04:46 PM.

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m 100% in the camp that says "I’d rather have an entire family meal leftover than be one scoop short."

I would surely cook 2 lbs. You can always have leftover. Beans are forgiving to heat as well and I see no issues heating them in your pan. If they start to dry you can always add in some moisture but I do not think you will overcook.

Comment

I think i would cook both packages of beans just to be safe. With them being cooked on your smoker they should taste great. I don’t think I would put much brisket in the beans so that there was a distinct flavor difference between the beans and the brisket. Corn bread will round it out nicely.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on the "go sparingly with the brisket". You’re paying big bucks for those beans, don’t won’t to drown out the taste with the brisket. Maybe just enough brisket where they get a little bit with every few bites.
        Last edited by Panhead John; September 15, 2021, 05:02 PM.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        was planning on a smaller cut of beer, and upping to 2lbs will further reduce the ratio... thank you

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        DO NOT use smaller cuts of beer! 🍺

I wouldn’t soak overnight. Rancho Gordo beans are fresher than grocery store beans and will start to sprout if soaked too long. I don’t remember how long a soak they recommend not exceeding, but it might be around 6 hours. I’d soak in the morning or not worry about soaking at all. I’ve made them plenty of times without soaking at all. They take a little longer but not much.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        great to know, taking longer won't hurt, we're doing this on the smoker the whole way if I have my way anyhow.

Beans and CornBread. go together
      Louis Jordan, Beans And Cornbread - Bing video

Comment

Didn't do the cornbread yet... but here's the initial result. I'm gonna have to have a re-do in the near future. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...03#post1101503

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here