Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bourbon Barbecue Baked Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bourbon Barbecue Baked Beans

I am planning to make this recipe and I am wondering if I can double the amount of beans without doubling the remaining ingredients. The recipe calls for 1 can (15oz) each of red kidney, white kidney and black beans. If I add correctly that would be six cups of beans. In a post regarding alcohol content in this recipe, Meathead mentions 1/4 bourban to twelve cups of beans. Can I double the beans and should they be anyway?

Slow to update post, I did make Meathead's Bourbon Barbecue Baked Bean recipe over Labor Day weekend and they received many compliments. I followed the recipe exactly with the exception of the beans, that I doubled. I cooked them for two hours, uncovered, in a foil pan on my WSM beneath the whole packer brisket I was cooking. I was concerned they may be to smokey for some, however nobody complained. I remembered to update this on Easter day when my brother in law was talking barbecue and said they where the best beans he ever had!

Comment

DaleL aren't these some great beans! My family asked me to increase the beans the next time I make them as they thought they needed more. I used pull pork as the meat and cooked in the inside stove. I'll have to try my smoker sometime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1998.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	152750

Comment

These are a favorite at my place anytime we BBQ. We have made double batches, but never thought about only double beans. Have you made it both ways to compare the flavor? May have to give it a try next time.

Comment

Bob's BBQ I have yet to make a batch with double beans. Though they loved them, they thought they were too "rich" and more beans would be just right for them. Got to please the family!

Comment

Hmmm... Changing the percentage of the main ingredient by 100% and not increasing the other elements of the recipe is a MAJOR game changer.

Not many recipes can come close to maintaining the intended flavor profile with that big of change.

I'd test it that way first before serving it to your friends and family.

Comment

I love these beans! Practice Practice Practice!

Comment

I have made the Controlled Burn Hot Sauce nine times. The first couple of times I followed the recipe exactly but then I started to riff the pepper blend to get a bit more heat. I carefully documented the changes. Batch V was a 4x batch that I made for Christmas gifts. I quadrupled the recipe exactly as to not radically change the basic flavor profile. MH's recipes are very well written and thought out so I would follow the recipe exactly initially, then riff.

Comment

I'm not sure how doubling the beans without the rest of the ingredients will work. My guess is that it could be dry. One way to find out. Stand by with water if needed.

Comment

I did a variation this weekend to make Red Beans and rice, smoked on the Jambo. #SuperFun

Comment

I've made several of MH's bean recipes beginning with the Bourbon Barbecue Baked Beans. The first time I stuck with the recipe but after that I doubled the amount of beans every time. I increase the liquid by a similar amount. Always comes out great. He does encourage experimentation!
                      My most recent venture was his Red Beans & Rice recipe. It also was great. The only problem I had is that I've never had Red Beans & Rice before and I have no idea how they're supposed to taste. I ended up adding different hot sauces to each serving I had. Frank's was my favorite! Next time I'm going to add a hot link or two!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here