Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highest Highs, Lowest Lows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highest Highs, Lowest Lows

I am a firm believer that folks should share their biggest losses as well as their biggest wins, because folks can learn just as much from either one. 👍 So here I am, and I got a story to tell! 😊

The good - so yesterday I tried a new cooking technique for brisket… sous vide-que! Long story short, it was an absolute game changer. I’ve done some good and great brisket over the years (along with making some shoe leather of course lol), but this was the first "competition first place prize winner level" brisket of my life! 💪 Yeahhhh baby, I am a barbecue MASTER!!! 😃🙌🕺🕺🕺

The bad - I decided to try TWO new recipes yesterday. Now anyone who’s been playing the game for a while knows the Barbeque Gods typically frown on that sort of hubris, but I was cocky and did it anyway. 😕 Between that decision and the booty dance I did around the kitchen island over my brisket success, the Gods decided I needed a karmic adjustment - and oh baby did they deliver in spades! 🤣🤣🤣

The second of the two new recipes was my first ever crack at from-scratch baked beans! Sounded yummy, seemed simple… here, you can take a look at the recipe for yourself.

https://thesaltedpepper.com/pressure...r-baked-beans/

Sauce was delicious, so I have hope for the next attempt and I think it’ll be a solid win. 👍 As for THIS attempt… yeahhhhh, yours truly missed the line in the recipe instructions to the tune of "check the softness of the beans before proceeding to the next step". 🙄

SO, I wound up with some really delicious… baked PEBBLES!!! 🤣🤣🤣 I think you would agree from the pic that they LOOKED great but my God, I’m pretty sure I may have chipped a tooth! 🤣🤣🤣

The ugly - you’ll also notice the potato salad in the picture. Got lazy and went store bought instead of making it (mistake #1)… tried a brand I’ve never had before (mistake #2, as a third "first time" thing in a given meal surely didn’t help my standing with the Gods)… and didn’t look at the ingredients before I threw it in the cart (mistake #3). 😖 Thats three strikes and you’re out folks - probably the worst potato salad I’ve ever tasted! Who on God’s green earth puts PICKLE RELISH in potato salad?!? 🤢🤢🤮

With learning having occurred and my ego firmly back in check, I will march forward to the next adventure. 🤗
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gdsim1; July 4, 2021, 02:12 PM.

If you were batting in the Majors, one out of three would be great.

Comment

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Might even get you in the Hall of Fame… then again, that winning percentage in the NFL will get you fired too! 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here