Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evil Swine Barbeque Company Logo Concept - Need Feedback Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evil Swine Barbeque Company Logo Concept - Need Feedback Please

A while back, I posted that I am starting up a Barbeque sauce, rub and marinade company here locally in the metro Detroit, Michigan area. I have sent my first product to a food lab and have begun the process of product safety testing and nutritional information analysis. I still have a way to go before I can go live and start selling.

In the meantime, I created a logo for my company and was wondering if you fine pitmaster here would give me some feedback and tell me what you think of the logo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 4.07.48 PM.png
Views:	476
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	928018 I still need to do a copy inverting the colors for when I need to put it on a dark background. I'm really happy with it and my friends and family all like it but I don't know how much stock I can put in just friends and family because...well, they're friends and family lol. Any feedback you could give me either positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.

I was really hoping for some freakin' pigs with laser beams on their heads, but I guess that will do.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol!

Very cool, I really like it! Just some general pointers when doing logo design:

A. (like you have already said) - Test it on a dark background (inverted colors) also
    B. Test in in black n white. You will most likely need it for invoices/correspondence. Your clients may print it on a black n white printer, and you want it to still look good.
    C. Test it in various resolutions. Low being more important.
    D. Try making an icon of it. You will most likely have to simplify it a little, but it's a good excercise. And you will need one for your website, social media accounts et.c.

On that note (D): have you at least registered the domain name/IG/Twitter account? You may not start to use it yet, but at least securing the names are important.

Best of luck!!

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Henrik hear. Try printing it out on different colored paper and paper with different finish. Right now, it’s two color, which will be less expensive to print. The red may get lost without some contrast next to the edge of the flames, so maybe a thin black edge there or other contrast.

A label printer will give you options of different printing processes like digital, litho, etc. they have different costs due to set up and your logo may look different in each process. Research it.

Last line should read Barbeque, not Barbeque CO. Helps keep it easier to stick in people's minds and less hassle to look for in a search. You can increase the point size of the type to fill the space. For consistency of your color themes, I would use the same distressed look for the last line too.

Otherwise, no suggestions from a former marketing person. Looks good!

Comment

My personal opinion is that the logo mark is to large in relation to the name of the sauce. If the product is sitting on the shelf you are going to want folks to buy from the name (assuming). Once the brand is established then the mark can stand alone. Just my two cents.

Comment

Why Evil?
        Just asking? Evil tasting? Evil Looking? Evil to serve?
        But this is just my first impression.
        Good fortune on you and your endeavor.

Comment

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          +2

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          +3. My 2 cents. I’d prefer Fat Swine Barbecue. Or Big Swine BBQ
          Last edited by Panhead John; October 23, 2020, 12:30 PM.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          How about the name Biggie Piggie BBQ. Dead Pig Q,
          The Sauced Pig, season your Porky,
          Why limit it to pork?

I very much like yer logo as designed, but wanted to point out:
        Above, ya have Barbecue in th top rocker, below ya have Barbeque CO.
        Might wanna settle in on one spellin, less cornfusin to us simple folks lol!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Was scanning through to see if anyone else mentioned that, it was my first thought too. Personally I am in the Barbecue camp, not with a Q unless abbreviated.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          c, yup... not a q, fer me. Huskee

It looks great, but I will tell you that my first impression was that it should be "Angry Pig" rather than "Evil Pig." The pig strikes me as more angry than evil.

Comment

Overall I like it, but question the distressed look in the coloring. Why not have solid coloring?

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Off topic, but I love your avatar. Cracks me up.

Kathryn

The word "Evil" immediately turns me off! We cook and eat to have enjoyment, not something bad. I also think the logo is too busy and when it is downsized to fit on bottles or jars it won't be legible.

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on the Evil.
            Why does todays society want to associate evil with what is hopefully going to be good?
            Kind of like skulls associated with motorcycle riding.
            Supposed to give off an aura of badassery and mayhem but in reality kind of gives me personally a feeling of come at me bro.

I'd go with Hawg or Pig over Swine.

Since everything seems to be over the edge now....Bitchin....
          Bitchin Swine
          Bitchin Hawg
          Bitchin Pig

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I never did like that word. When my daughter would sing it or a variant of it in rap songs back in the day, I used to talk to her seriously about it.

K.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc On reading your post and considering for a moment, you are quite correct.
            Good for a car show or auto garage, loading dock or a buncha longshoreman in a bar.
            I did not take into account the woman's view.
            My apologies to you and the rest of the women on this site.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            No worries, smokin fool . I've actually got a pretty tough hide. My point was that I wanted to teach our daughters about not using that word or a variant of it themselves. As words go, it's not that bad. But there are better (non-sexist) ones out there that convey the same meaning for me and mine to use.

K.
            Last edited by fzxdoc; October 25, 2020, 02:45 PM.

All great food for thought above @Evil Swine BBQ. What I notice is the product is missing. As such the logo could be for anything barbeque ie an eatery, cookbook or new line of cookers etc. My suggestion is a tag line or two such as "Killer Sauce" and/or "Drop Dead Rubs" for example. Selling it at first glance and reinforcing to sell it often needs to start with the logo.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually you don't want the product in the logo. You want the logo to be able to apply to anything the company does - bottles of sauce, packets of rub, t-shirts, etc.

I sense you're not asking for feedback on your name choice but simply your logo. I like the logo. I do agree though that you need to pick a "c" or "q" in your spelling of barbecue. My next thought is make the bottom say BBQ, or if you insist it's spelled out, make it bigger. Put BBQ in their face not evil.

Comment

The difference between Barbecue on the top and Barbecue Co on the bottom is fine but yes, the spelling should be the same in each place. The top describes what it is - it's Premium Barbecue. The bottom is part of the company name Evil Swine Barbecue Co.

On the Evil thing - I assume they want the name for their own reason. Not everything needs to be goody goody... some things can use an edge and if thats the image they want, it's their company not ours.

On format - make sure this is done as a vector file (.ai, Adobe Illustrator) so that you can scale it up to be on something like a t-shirt or down to be a logo mark on letterhead. If you haven't done this, print it at various sizes, print it on Avery labels and stick it on some bottles, toss it on letterhead and see how it looks there, etc. That will point out anything you don't like about it.

For example, the Premium Barbecue on the top is legible in your post... but is NOT legible in your avatar. You can tell there's something there, but you cannot read the words. See above about file format too - when resized up or down from the original size, pixel images tend to not stay sharp.
            Last edited by rickgregory; October 23, 2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Speaking as an apparel decorator, I always try to think about how the logo will work when applied to clothing/hats. If screen or transfer printing, the logo is OK, but I would try it without the distressing as that complicates things. For embroidery, the logo has some issues: The distressing will be particularly difficult if not impossible to do in thread. The small dots in the top arc are also problematic. Last, the "Premium Barbeque" text will also be quite small for a left chest or hat logo and again, hard to get to look good in thread.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here